Department of Applied Social Sciences
Doctor of Philosophy / Master of Philosophy
Sept 2018 Entry
The Department of Applied Social Sciences (APSS) is committed to serving the community through the dynamic integration of education, research and service through its applied social science research. APSS’s position as a large social sciences department with diverse areas of interest and expertise under one roof, and its location within a health and social science faculty, offers an advantageous position in inter-disciplinary research networks and initiatives. APSS research is characterised by:
- A strong emphasis on social needs and policy relevant research;
- A commitment to enhancing social betterment and improving the well-being of individuals, children, families and disadvantaged groups in our community;
- A preference for collaborative work with partnering institutions in Hong Kong, China and the region; and
- A commitment to developing theories of indigenous knowledge and practices.
The following research centre and research facilities are our platforms for hosting and advancing research collaborations with academic institutions, NGOs, the private sector and government departments locally, overseas and in the Chinese mainland.
- Peking University -- The Hong Kong Polytechnic University China Social Work Research Centre
- Centre for Social Policy Studies
- Centre for Third Sector Studies
- China Research and Development Network
- Manulife Centre for Children with Specific Learning Disabilities
- Network for Health and Welfare Studies
- Professional Practice and Assessment Centre
- Yan Oi Tong Au Suet Ming Child Development Centre for Giftedness
- The Institute of Active Ageing (IAA) – hosted by the Faculty of Health and Social Sciences (FHSS) of The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- Research laboratory - Research equipment for collecting neurological data such as electroencephalography (EEG) and physiological data such as skin conductance, heart rate, and respiration.