Non-local Applicants


PolyU welcomes applications from quality candidates from around the world. At present, we have students of various nationalities including Africa, North America, Europe and Southeast Asia. We also have many students from the Chinese mainland.


If you are holding one of the following visas/permits, you are regarded as a "non-local student” for the purpose of admission to our programmes:


  • Student visa/entry permit;
  • Visa under the Immigration Arrangements for Non-local Graduates (IANG); or
  • Dependant visa/entry permit holders, who were aged 18 years old or above when they were issued with such visa/entry permit issued by the Director of Immigration.


Non-local students are not eligible for government grants and loans. You should therefore ensure that you have sufficient funds for tuition fees, accommodation and other expenses, including medical insurance.


According to the Hong Kong Immigration Policy, students holding a student visa and studying in full-time locally accredited local programmes at undergraduate level or above are allowed to take up internships, part-time on-campus employment and summer jobs. Please click here to view the Immigration Policy on Study. However, research students in receipt of a studentship or financial assistantship from the University are normally not allowed to take up any employment without prior approval.


Full-time UGC-funded research students are eligible to apply for PolyU Student Halls of Residence subject to availability. Please click here for details of hall residence.


The University is facing an acute shortage of hall places. Full-time students within the normal study period are eligible for about one year of residence (from the check-in date to the end of the 12th month) in University-managed accommodation (including the Student Halls and off-campus housing), subject to availability. They can make alternative accommodation arrangements if necessary. Please click here for more information.