Doctor of Business Administration
Sept 2017 Entry
Programme code: 02007
Duration & Credit Requirement
3 credits plus fee for DBA Residential 1 (HK$29,700)
HK$707,400 per programme
(excluding travelling and hotel accommodation costs of two DBA Residentials)
* The tuition fee for 8 taught subjects (24 credits) and the Thesis (24 credits) is HK$648,000, and the fee for the two DBA Residentials (3 credits) is HK$59,400.
Prof. Wilson Tong
BSocSc, MIM, PhD
Deputy Programme Director
Dr Petrus Choy
MBAcc, DBA, ACA, FCCA, FCPA, CMA
Aims & Characteristics
Today's dynamic and complex business environment - spawned by the forces of technology and globalisation - requires business leadership that is global, innovative, decisive and responsive to the needs of various stakeholders, as well as committed to organisational learning.
A major aim of the PolyU DBA is to educate senior executives to be "scholar-leaders", who are able to apply research findings in solving real-world management problems. The PolyU DBA has been designed to integrate academic study and management practice in a way that will form a significant part of an individual's business career.
The educational objectives that frame the programme are:
- Broadening, updating, and deepening students’ knowledge of business administration in general;
- Acquiring an in-depth knowledge of specialised areas of students; and
- Sharpening students' ability to conduct original applied research in business administration.
The Faculty was accredited by AACSB International (The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business) in 2010 in recognition of our business education.
The Faculty was accredited by EQUIS (EFMD Quality Improvement System) in 2007 in recognition of our programmes, research and associated activities.
To enhance the international dimension and academic vigour of PolyU DBA, collaborations have been established with the International Institute for Management Development (IMD) in Switzerland and the Summer School and Executive Programmes Unit of The London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE) in London, U.K..
IMD, a top ranking business school for developing global leaders through high-impact executive education, offers a credit bearing elective for PolyU DBA students. The Financial Times ranked IMD as the first in executive education outside the U.S. (2008-2016) and the first in open programmes worldwide (since 2012).
LSE, with an international intake and a global reach, has been ranked London’s top university for three years in a row. Its research and teaching span the full breadth of the social sciences, from economics, politics and law to sociology, accounting and finance. For more than 25 years, the School has been offering open enrolment short courses to provide students and professionals with insights into cutting edge research relevant to their studies and work.
Recognition & Prospects
Take the first DBA in the region
The PolyU DBA, launched in 1996 is the region’s first professional doctorate programme. The success of the programme is further demonstrated with the extension and launch of the Doctor of Management (DMgt) programme on the Chinese mainland in 2004. Our programme blends theory and cutting-edge research with practice. Our curriculum seeks to develop a new breed of executives by enhancing your capacity and harnessing your ability to lead others, and make decisions that matter.
Achieve an intellectual transformation
This programme appeals to those who are looking for a challenge and is designed for business professionals who wish to take their business education to the highest level. Today’s business world calls for leaders who can bring high level research skills into the organisations. To respond to these challenges, our programme is built on engaged scholarship and evidence-based management to enable students to solve practical issues and complex business problems. Seize this opportunity to professionally and personally transform and propel your career to the next level.
Earn a doctorate while pursuing a career
To accommodate the needs of busy professionals, block teaching is done so that you can pursue the rigorous programme without interrupting your career. Most classes are scheduled on weekday evenings or weekends, subject to the final arrangement of the programme. You can also apply what you have acquired directly to the business world.
Learn in a supportive environment
Our selective intake and small class size allow us to provide individual support. Study alongside a group of diverse, high calibre achievers coming from a range of industries and be inspired by our world-class faculty. You will have access to the latest research through our activities and dedicated research centres of the Faculty. Distinguished guest speakers, world-class scholars and renowned business leaders will share with you their insights and experience during PolyU DBA lectures and outstanding alumni will join you on the various study workshops. Learn in the comfort of our dedicated facilities for PolyU DBA students.
Become part of an elite network
PolyU DBA students build up an extensive network with fellow classmates from diverse backgrounds, fields and locations. You will connect to an alumni network of around 200 members, many of whom are now renowned business and community leaders.
- PolyU DBA is a part-time credit-based programme.
- Students are required to complete 51 credits including 8 taught subjects (a total of 24 credits), 2 DBA Residentials (a total of 3 credits) and a DBA Thesis (a total of 24 credits).
- All taught subjects are at an advanced level, and students are assumed to have prior knowledge of each subject area.
- The normal duration of study is 3 years, with a maximum study period of 6 years.
- There is a possible exit award of Master of Science in Management Research Studies for students who have completed 8 taught subjects, 2 DBA Residentials, and passed the DBA Thesis I (thesis proposal presentation) (a total of 35 credits).
- Business Research Analysis & Design
- DBA Residential 1
- DBA Residential 2
- DBA Thesis I
- DBA Thesis II
Core Subjects^ (any two)
- Econometrics Methods
- Qualitative Research & Experimental Design
- Statistical Analysis for Management Research
Elective Subjects^ (any five)
- Advanced Business Strategy
- Advanced Financial Management
- Advanced Topics in Economics for Managers
- Contemporary Issues in Financial Reporting & Corporate Disclosures
- Current Issues in Organisational Behaviour
- Frontier of Leadership Research
- Incentives & Monitoring in Accounting
- Independent Studies in Business
- Independent Studies in Business - International Collaborations Experience
- Methodologies for Business Decisions
- Services Marketing Management
- Strategic Management of Information & Organisation in Digital Economy
- Strategic Marketing
- Strategic Quality Management
- Strategic Supply Chain & Logistics Management
^ 1. Subject to the University’s minimum enrolment requirement, not all subjects will be offered each year. And, registration is subject to the availability of quota.
2. All subject details (e.g. subject description form, offering pattern, class timetable etc.) are subject to review and change from time to time.
Attendance at the 2 DBA Residentials is compulsory.
DBA Residential 1 is a 2 to 3 day mandatory orientation workshop scheduled for the beginning of the programme in August/September.
DBA Residential 2 is a research workshop which is held normally in May / June after students have completed all their taught subjects. The main purpose of the workshop is to give students an opportunity to present their thesis proposals and to prepare them for writing the theses.
The DBA Thesis is an independent research project that requires students to critically and rigorously examine a topic of interest in the field of business or management. It is one of the most important learning activities of the DBA programme and it gives students an opportunity to integrate and apply what they have learned in the taught portion of the programme. With the thesis, students are challenged to make an important contribution and/or provide innovative insights to the practice of management. Students must pass the Compulsory Subject, 2 Core Subjects and at least 3 Elective Subjects before beginning their theses.
Latest information on the subjects offered can be obtained at www.polyu.edu.hk/fb/rpss/dba.
- A Master's degree, preferably in a business-related area;
- Substantial managerial experience (at least 8 years) at a senior level; or
- Candidates in senior management positions possessing a recognised first degree and membership of a recognised professional body may also be considered on a case-by-case basis.
If you are not a native speaker of English, and your Master's degree or equivalent qualification is awarded by institutions where the medium of instruction is not English, you are expected to fulfil the University’s minimum English language requirement for admission purpose. Please refer to the "Admission Requirements" section for details.
Shortlisted applicants will be invited for admission interviews.
- Most classes are scheduled on weekday evenings or weekends, subject to the final arrangement of the programme.
Additional Documents Required
Transcript / Certificate
Please provide an official English-translated version of your academic qualifications (such as graduation certificates, transcripts of studies, etc.).
No information is available at present.