Master of Science/Postgraduate Diploma in Geomatics (Geographic Information Systems)
Sept 2017 Entry
Programme code: 04001
Duration & Credit Requirement
GIM for MSc (Full-time)
GIP for PgD (Full-time)
GGM for MSc (Part-time)
GGP for PgD (Part-time)
1 year (Full-time)
2.5 years (Part-time)
30 for MSc,
21 for PgD
For local students
For non-local students
HK$3,500 per credit for local students
HK$4,000 per credit for non-local students
Dr Bo WU
BEng, MSc, PhD, MRICS
- This programme offers the following specialisms; students must indicate their chosen specialism on their applications:
- MSc/PgD in Geomatics (Geographic Information Systems)
- MSc/PgD in Geomatics (Surveying)
- Students can pursue their studies in either full-time or part-time mode. Depending on their pace of study, they should normally be able to complete the programme full time in 1 year and part time in 2.5 years. They will be required to attend classes in the daytime and in the evening if they choose the full-time mode.
- This programme is offered within the Postgraduate Scheme in Construction and Environment.
Aims & Characteristics
Designed for professionals in geographic information systems (GIS), surveying or related fields, this programme equips students with the theoretical understanding and practical skills that are required to specialise in GIS or land and engineering surveying.
Our multidisciplinary programme for experienced professionals advances students' knowledge in their chosen specialist areas and expands their general perspectives of geomatics.
Recognition & Prospects
The MSc programme has been accredited by:
- The Hong Kong Institute of Surveyors (HKIS);
- The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS);
- The Chartered Institution of Civil Engineering Surveyors (ICES); and
- The Hong Kong Institution of Engineering Surveyors (HKIES).
Students can select from a wide range of subjects that are offered under the Postgraduate Scheme in Construction and Environment, each generally requiring one evening class per week over a 13-week semester.
For the MSc
Students must complete 7 subjects, including at least 4 Core Subjects, and a Dissertation that is pertinent to Geographic Information Systems (GIS) or Surveying. The Dissertation is optional. Alternatively, students can choose a Geomatics Project and one more Core Subject, in either GIS or Surveying, depending on their stream.
For the PgD
Students must complete 7 subjects, including at least 4 Core Subjects.
Core Areas of Study
The following is a brief summary of the core areas of study. Students will be provided with detailed information on the subjects for selection upon registration.
Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Specialism
- Geographic Information Systems Engineering
- Spatial Data Visualisation & Modeling
- Advanced Geographic Information Systems
- Satellite Positioning & Navigation
- Advanced Surveying
Both GIS and Surveying Specialisms
- Principles of Geographic Information Systems
- Spatial Data Acquisition
- Spatial Data Analysis & Mining
- Remote Sensing Image Processing
The Core Subjects of the above specialisms are subject to revision.
Information on the subjects offered can be obtained at www.lsgi.polyu.edu.hk/prospective-students/degrees-and-qualifications/master-of-science-in-geomatics/index.asp.
- A Bachelor's degree with Honours in engineering, science or technology;
- A Bachelor's degree with Honours in other relevant disciplines [such as a Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Geography]^;
- A professional qualification plus relevant work experience related to Surveying or Geographic Information Systems (GIS)^.
Holders of the qualifications marked with ^ may be invited to attend interviews to assess their suitability for the programme.
If you are not a native speaker of English, and your Bachelor's degree or equivalent qualification is awarded by institutions where the medium of instruction is not English, you are expected to fulfil the University’s minimum English language requirement for admission purpose. Please refer to the "Admission Requirements" section for details.
Additional Documents Required
One-page (for non-local applicants only)
Transcript / Certificate
No information is available at present.