Master of Science/Postgraduate Diploma in Sustainable Urban Development
Sept 2017 Entry
Programme code: 04001
Duration & Credit Requirement
UFM for MSc (Full-time)
UFP for PgD (Full-time)
UPM for MSc (Part-time)
UPP for PgD (Part-time)
1 year (Full-time)
2.5 years (Part-time)
30 for MSc,
21 for PgD
For local students
For non-local students
HK$3,500 per credit for local students
HK$4,000 per credit for non-local students
Prof. Yang Hong-Xing
BEng, MEng, PhD, FHKIE, RPE
This programme is offered within the Postgraduate Scheme in Construction and Environment.
Aims & Characteristics
This postgraduate programme is designed to cut across the traditional boundaries among management, surveying, engineering and environmental sciences to take a broad view of the subject. The primary aim of this programme is to provide an opportunity for students to broaden and deepen their knowledge of urban sustainable development.
This programme provides up-to-date knowledge in sustainable urban development based on contemporary research findings. It is suitable for local and mainland planners, surveyors, environmental practitioners, consultancy professionals, engineers, government officers, business managers and graduates from relevant courses.
Recognition & Prospects
The programme has been accredited by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS).
This is a mixed-mode programme. Students can pursue their study either in a full-time mode or a part-time mode. Students must complete Compulsory Subjects and selected Core Subjects. They can select Elective Subjects from a wide range of subjects that are offered across several faculties in the University.
Students must complete 30 credits through two alternative approaches:
- Approach A: 4 Compulsory Subjects + 3 Core Subjects + 3 Elective Subjects
- Approach B: 4 Compulsory Subjects + 3 Core Subjects + a Dissertation
(Unless specified otherwise, each subject carries 3 credits, and the Dissertation carries 9 credits.)
* Students are advised to complete all Compulsory Subjects in their first year of study.
Core Areas of Study
The following is a list of Compulsory and Core subjects
- Urban Planning & Urban Design
- Development Finance & Investment
- Sustainability & the Built Environment
- Sustainable Development & Environmental Planning
- Project Appraisal
- Real Estate Development
- Energy Efficient Buildings
- Engineering Intelligent Buildings
- Noise & Vibration in Sustainable Built Environments
- Urban Transport Planning - Theory & Practice^
- Environmental Impact Assessment
- Principles of GIS
- Environmental Remote Sensing (1 credit)
- Urban Application of GIS & Remote Sensing (2 credits)
- Social Impact Assessment
- Public Sector Management
Information on the subjects offered can be obtained at www.polyu.edu.hk/fce/postgrad-scheme.
^ This subject has been included on the Continuing Education Fund (CEF) list of reimbursable courses. Details can be found at www.wfsfaa.gov.hk/cef.
- A Bachelor's degree with Honours relevant to construction, real estate, urban planning, architecture, environmental science or equivalent qualifications (including recognised professional qualifications).
If you are not a native speaker of English, and your Bachelor's degree or equivalent qualification is awarded by institutions where the medium of instruction is not English, you are expected to fulfil the University’s minimum English language requirement for admission purpose. Please refer to the "Admission Requirements" section for details.
Additional Documents Required
Transcript / Certificate
No information is available at present.