Master of Arts in Fashion and Textile Design
Sept 2017 Entry
Programme code: 14097
Duration & Credit Requirement
3 for local students
6 for non-local students
HK$3,300 per credit for local students
HK$4,000 per credit for non-local students
Prof. Raymond Au
PhD, MA (Fash), CText FTI, FCFI, FHKITA
This programme welcomes students from Hong Kong and around the world.
Aims & Characteristics
This programme aims to provide designers with an in-depth understanding of global fashion trends and requirements. It places emphasis on design conceptualisation, independent research, creative application and artistic expression, and provides a design-focused environment for students to follow their chosen path to generate a range of design-oriented, decision-making skills that are significant in the fashion industry.
Four major subject areas are available:
- Fashion Design;
- Knitwear Design;
- Textile Design; and
- Bodywear Design
Students develop skills that underpin their existing design and industry knowledge, and learn to appreciate the demands placed on designers in this dynamic industry. In-depth personal projects allow students to explore issues of design practice, technology and theory. The programme fosters a broad range of critical thinking and creative awareness skills. When combined, these elements provide the basis for making our graduates highly sought after design professionals.
Recognition & Prospects
The programme consists of three major components:
- Core Subjects - 5 subjects in Semester 1 and 2 subjects in Semester 2;
- Personal Project - written report, design portfolio and design collection, developed in one of the four major subject areas, with advice from subject specialists/tutors; and
- Final Assessment and Presentation.
Core Areas of Study
This is the list of Core Subjects. Students are provided with detailed information on the subjects for selection upon registration.
- Evolution of Design Trends
- Design Concept
- Visual Design Communication
- Design Collection Preparation
- Creative Textiles
- Fashion Business
- Fashion Technology
Information on the subjects offered can be obtained at
- A Bachelor's degree in textiles or fashion design, or the equivalent.
If you are not a native speaker of English, and your Bachelor's degree or equivalent qualification is awarded by institutions where the medium of instruction is not English, you are expected to fulfil the University’s minimum English language requirement for admission purpose. Please refer to the "Admission Requirements" section for details.
- Suitable candidates may be invited to attend interviews, which may be held in the Chinese mainland or Hong Kong.
- Suitable non-local candidates from outside Chinese mainland may be invited to attend skype interviews.
- Non-local candidates admitted to the programme will have to make their own accommodation arrangements during the course of study.
Individual cases will be considered on their own merit by the department. Applicants may be required to attend interviews or tests to further demonstrate their flair and language proficiency.
Additional Documents Required
Transcript / Certificate
Please also provide the following documents:
No information is available at present.