Master of Science in International Shipping and Transport Logistics
Sept 2017 Entry
Programme code: 44087
Duration & Credit Requirement
45 (39 academic credits and 6 training credits)
Covered by The Hong Kong Maritime and Logistics Scholarship Scheme
Dr Venus Lun
MSc, DBA, CMILT, MCIM, MBCS
- Funding Type: Self-financed but supported by the Hong Kong Maritime and Logistics Scholarship (for scholarship recipients ONLY)
- Candidates are required to submit an application for admission to the programme online together with the application for the Scholarship.
- The MSc in International Shipping and Transport Logistics (Mixed-mode) (44087-IFM/IPM) (33 credits) is another programme available for application. Please click here for details.
- Applications for the two programmes are processed separately, and the application fee is non-transferable.
- Note to Applicants
Please complete all relevant fields and enclose necessary documents. Incomplete applications cannot be processed promptly.
Aims & Characteristics
This full-time stream of the MScISTL trains professionals in the shipping- and logistics-related sectors. It is designed to help them bring about modern and cost-effective reform in the industry.
Our objectives are to:
- Provide up-to-date and in-depth knowledge of shipping and logistics vital for the continued development of the industry and Hong Kong;
- Develop capabilities to tackle complex multidisciplinary problems through covering a host of topics such as logistics, economics, finance, management, law, insurance, marketing, IT applications and China practices;
- Nurture good practice and sound professional judgment by drawing upon the experience of practising professionals;
- Develop the critical and analytical approach necessary to become a good decision maker; and
- Prepare graduates for future advancement in the profession through self-development.
The programme embodies a sound balance between academic theory and professional practice. The combination of Compulsory Subjects with a choice of Electives plus the mandatory internship, reflects the multidisciplinary nature of the business and the diversity of the career paths students on the programme can pursue.
Within 3 calendar months after successfully completing the programme, scholarship recipients must commit to working full time in the Hong Kong maritime industry for a period of not less than twelve consecutive calendar months.
Recognition & Prospects
Graduates of the MSc in International Shipping and Transport Logistics programme are granted full exemption from the Qualifying Examination of the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport in Hong Kong (CILTHK).
Graduates of the MSc in International Shipping and Transport Logistics programme are granted exemption on the following subjects of the Institute of Chartered Shipbrokers (ICS):
- Introduction to Shipping
- Legal Principles in Shipping Business
- Logistics and Multimodal Transport (as long as logistics is taken and shown on the transcript)
Scholarship recipients are provided with the core knowledge that is essential in the shipping, transport and logistics fields, and in-depth knowledge in selected specialised areas to suit their needs and aspirations. There is also an array of Elective Subjects that allow scholarship recipients to specialise in areas that would normally be impossible to cover in-depth within the time constraints of a first degree.
Students must complete 39 academic credits (5 Compulsory Subjects and 4 International Shipping Core Subjects and 4 Elective Subjects) and 6 training credits (240-hour Maritime Industry Internship) (exemption may be granted to local scholarship recipients with relevant internship/work experience). In terms of Elective Subjects, they can opt for a 9-credit Dissertation plus 1 Elective or a 6-credit Project plus 2 Electives.
Core Areas of Study (Subject to review)
The following is a summary of the core areas of study. Detailed information will be provided upon registration.
- Finance for Shipping & Logistics
- International Logistics Systems, Operations & Management
- Organisational Management in Shipping & Logistics
- Shipping Law
- Supply Chain Management
International Shipping Core Subjects+
- Port Policy & Management
- Law & Practice in Maritime Insurance
- Liner Shipping Management
- Ship Chartering Strategies
- Accounting for Managers
- Admiralty Law
- Airline Strategic Management
- Airport Business Management
- Air Transport Logistics & Management
- Air Transport Regulatory Policy
- Applications of Decision Making Models
- Aviation Marketing
- Aviation Safety Management
- Contract Management
- Decision Support Modelling for Courier & Freight Management
- Derivatives & Risk Management in Shipping
- Enterprise Resource Planning
- Environmental Logistics
- Intermodal Transport Management
- Logistics Information Systems/Information Systems for Supply Chain Management
- Managing Operations Systems
- Maritime Arbitration Law
- Maritime & Port Environment
- Maritime Logistics
- Models for Decision Making
- Port Economics
- Project Management
- Risk Management in Operations
- Research Methods
- Shipping Economics & Markets
- Statistics for Management
- Strategic Procurement Management
- Strategic Value & Cost Management
- Transport Logistics in China
- Warehousing & Material Handling Systems/Warehousing & Materials Management
Mandatory Training Subject
- Maritime Industry Internship
Information on the subjects offered can be obtained at www.lms.polyu.edu.hk.
+ Subjects are offered according to class quota availability.
^ Each subject counts for 3 credits, while the Dissertation and Project are worth 9 credits and 6 credits, respectively. These two subjects are mutually exclusive.
- A Bachelor's degree in any discipline.
Chinese mainland and Overseas Applicants
- A Bachelor's degree in International Shipping or Maritime Studies or other relevant disciplines with:
i) English being the medium of instruction;
ii) English not being the medium of instruction, then applicants are also required to meet either one of the following requirements:
- An IELTS Academic Test with a score of at least 6; or
- A TOEFL Internet-based test score of at least 80, including a score of at least 20 in the Test of Written English; or
- A TOEFL paper-based test score of at least 550, including a score of at least 4.5 in the Test of Written English.
- Suitable candidates may be invited to attend admission interviews.
- Subjects are offered in a variety of modes, including weekday evenings, daytime or weekends.
Scholarship recipients in breach of any of the following conditions must refund the scholarship amount received in full to the Scholarship Scheme:
- Recipients are not allowed to concurrently hold any other local merit-based incentive during the studies of the programme;
- Recipients are required to complete the programme, covering 39 academic credits and 6 training credits of the Maritime Industry Internship (exemption may be granted to local scholarship recipients with relevant internship/work experience); and
- Within 3 calendar months of successful completion of the programme, recipients must start working full-time in the maritime industry in Hong Kong for a period of not less than twelve consecutive calendar months.
- Each scholarship recipient is required to sign an undertaking that will form a contract between the recipient and the Scholarship Scheme.
Student visa, accommodation and other information for non-local students:
- Non-local students must obtain a valid student visa issued by the Hong Kong Immigration Department before being allowed to register as students or commence study with PolyU.
- For information on accommodation, please refer to www.polyu.edu.hk/hall/nls/nls_sfnls.htm.
- For information on living cost and related expenses in Hong Kong, please refer to www.polyu.edu.hk/miss/index.php/essential-guide.
For further information, please contact:
Tel: (852) 2766 7409 / (852) 2766 5508
For information on academic matters, please contact:
Mr Owen Tang, Programme Manager (tel: (852) 2766 4782; email: email@example.com);
or Dr Venus Lun, Programme Director (tel: (852) 2766 7407; email: firstname.lastname@example.org).
No information is available at present.