Master of Science/Postgraduate Diploma in Global Supply Chain Management
Sept 2017 Entry
Programme code: 44089
Duration & Credit Requirement
GSM for MSc
GSP for PgD
2.5 years for MSc
1.5 years for PgD
30 for MSc,
18 for PgD
3 for local students
6 for non-local students
HK$150,000 per programme for MSc students
HK$90,000 per programme for PgD students
Dr Leon Li
- Students admitted to the MSc programme may apply for early exit with a Postgraduate Diploma, subject to meeting the specified credit requirements.
- Note to Applicants
Please complete all relevant fields and enclose necessary documents. Incomplete applications cannot be processed promptly.
Aims & Characteristics
This programme is for executives in the fields of supply chain management and logistics. It is designed to equip them to meet current and future needs in the supply chain management profession by creating and sustaining competitiveness in the supply chain through cost, quality and efficiency.
Our mission is to:
- Equip students with broad knowledge and skills in global supply chain management;
- Provide students with a thorough grounding in subjects that lead to the knowledge and intellectual capability required for the understanding and critical analysis of supply chain management problems;
- Introduce to students, in a coherent and systematic way, the body of knowledge and concepts which constitute the discipline of supply chain management;
- Enhance students' awareness of the global supply chain management environment and the management issues; and
- Help students to develop key skills to function effectively in global supply chain management.
The programme embodies both sound academic theory and professional practice. The combination of Compulsory Subjects and a wide range of Electives, including purchasing-related subjects, reflects the multidisciplinary nature of the business that students in the programme can pursue.
Recognition & Prospects
Graduates of the MSc in Global Supply Chain Management in the academic year 2015-16 have been granted accreditation by the Chartered Institute of Purchasing & Supply (CIPS) and may apply for full membership. Subject requirements and renewal of accreditation thereafter are subject to review each year.
Graduates of the MSc in Global Supply Chain Management are granted full exemption from the Qualifying Examination of the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport in Hong Kong (CILTHK).
Graduates of the PgD in Global Supply Chain Management are granted partial exemption from the Qualifying Examination of the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport in Hong Kong (CILTHK).
Students are provided with the core knowledge that is essential for all managers in the supply chain field, and in-depth knowledge in selected subjects to suit their needs and aspirations.
For the MSc
Students must complete 30 credits (1 Compulsory Subject, 4 Core Subjects and 5 Elective Subjects).
For the PgD
Students must complete 18 credits (1 Compulsory Subject, 4 Core Subjects and 1 Elective Subject).
Core Areas of Study
The following is a summary of the core areas of study. Detailed information will be provided upon registration.
- Supply Chain Management*
Students need to choose at least 4 Core Subjects (for both the MSc and the PgD)
Choose at least 2 from:
- International Logistics Management*
- Managing Operations Systems*
- Models for Decision Making*
Choose at least 1 from:
- Global Sourcing & Supply*
- Strategic Procurement Management*
Choose at least 1 from:
- Information Systems for Supply Chain Management*
Students can take more Core Subjects than necessary, and they will be counted as Electives.
- Air Transport Logistics & Management
- Applications of Decision Making Models
- Contract Management
- Enterprise Resource Planning
- GSCM Project
- Lean Thinking & Practice
- Maritime Logistics
- Organisational Management in Shipping & Logistics
- Practice of Global Supply Chain Management
- Project Management
- Risk Management in Operations
- Service Operations Management
- Statistics for Management
- Strategic Value & Cost Management
- Supplier Development
- Total Quality Management
- Transport Logistics in China
- Warehousing & Materials Management
Information on the subjects offered can be obtained at www.lms.polyu.edu.hk.
+Subjects are offered according to class quota availability.
* These subjects are included on the Continuing Education Fund (CEF) list of reimbursable courses.
- A Bachelor's degree in a business-related discipline or the equivalent;
- For non-business degree holders, 2 years of relevant work experience or relevant background knowledge is required.
Candidates in senior management positions possessing other academic qualifications may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Priority will be given to applicants with relevant work experience.
If you are not a native speaker of English, and your Bachelor's degree or equivalent qualification is awarded by institutions where the medium of instruction is not English, you are expected to fulfil the University’s minimum English language requirement for admission purpose. Please refer to the "Admission Requirements" section for details.
- Suitable candidates may be invited to attend admission interviews. Online applications have to be submitted before end of January 2017 in order to catch up with the 1st round of interview in mid February 2017. Other rounds of interviews will also be conducted afterwards.
- Classes are normally scheduled on weekday evenings in three semesters (including an optional Summer Term) within an academic year.
For further information, please contact:
Tel: (852) 2766 4065/(852) 2766 4608
For information on academic matters, please contact:
Mr Owen Tang, Programme Manager (tel: (852) 2766 4782; email: firstname.lastname@example.org);
or Dr Leon Li, Programme Director (tel: (852) 2766 7369; email: email@example.com).
Additional Documents Required
Not more than 200 words
Transcript / Certificate
No information is available at present.