Master of Science in Rehabilitation of People with Developmental Disabilities
Sept 2017 Entry
Programme code: 51062
Duration & Credit Requirement
1 year (Full-time)
2.5 years (Part-time)
3 for local students
6 for non-local students
HK$3,200 per credit for local students
HK$4,000 per credit for non-local students
(Subject to review)
Dr Joseph Ng
Dr Cynthia Lai
PDOT, MSc, PhD, OTR, HKROT
The Postgraduate Scheme in Rehabilitation Sciences comprises the following awards:
- MSc in Rehabilitation of People with Developmental Disabilities 發展障礙人士復康理學碩士學位
- MSc in Rehabilitation Sciences 康復科學理學碩士學位
- MSc in Manipulative Physiotherapy 手法物理治療理學碩士學位
- MSc in Occupational Therapy 職業治療學理學碩士學位
- MSc in Sports Physiotherapy 運動物理治療理學碩士學位
The awards under this scheme admit students in alternate years. MSc in Manipulative Physiotherapy, MSc in Occupational Therapy and MSc in Sports Physiotherapy are offered in the same admission year. MSc in Rehabilitation of People with Developmental Disabilities and MSc in Rehabilitation Sciences are offered in the same admission year.
Aims & Characteristics
This programme can enrich students' knowledge and leadership through a variety of subjects, both theoretical and practical, which are relevant to the global needs of people with developmental disabilities. You will find this programme intellectually challenging and helpful to your career development. The programme also enhances the application of inter-disciplinary team approach and evidence-based practice to develop attitudes and qualities appropriate for independent and partnership professional practice for people with developmental disabilities. On completion, you will be better equipped with an advanced knowledge for practice in the field of developmental disabilities.
This award offers unique clinical specialisation in the field of developmental disabilities. These include:
- Evidence-based practice in management of people with Developmental Disabilities
- Promote an inter-disciplinary team approach
- Applied research and practice in the field of Developmental Disabilities
Please note this programme does not confer eligibility for registration with the Physiotherapist Board of Hong Kong or Occupational Therapists Board of Hong Kong.
Recognition & Prospects
The programme is operated in both full-time and part-time mode and it takes a normal duration 1 year to complete in full-time mode and 2.5 years to complete in part-time mode.
Students must complete 2 Compulsory Subjects - Research Methods & Data Analysis and Project Study, 5 Core Subjects and 2 Elective Subjects.
Core Areas of Study
Students have to choose at least 3 core subjects out of the following:
- Psychosocial rehabilitation for people with developmental disabilities
- Sensory and motor intervention for people with developmental disabilities
- Recent advances in rehabilitation for people with developmental disabilities
- Advanced Study in Autism Spectrum Disorder
Students can then choose the remaining core subjects from the following:
- Vocational rehabilitation
- Theories and practice of counseling for rehabilitation and health professionals
- Case management of people with developmental disabilities
- A Bachelor's degree in occupational therapy, physiotherapy, nursing, psychology, social work, speech therapy, education or related health care disciplines from PolyU or a recognised institution or the equivalent, preferably with one year of post-qualification work experience with people with developmental disabilities;
- A professional diploma in occupational therapy, physiotherapy, nursing, psychology, social work, speech therapy, education or related health care disciplines from PolyU or a recognised institution or the equivalent, with two years of work experience and evidence of continuous education over the past two years.
If you are not a native speaker of English, and your Bachelor's degree or equivalent qualification is awarded by institutions where the medium of instruction is not English, you are expected to fulfil the University’s minimum English language requirement for admission purpose. Please refer to the "Admission Requirements" section for details.
Individual cases will be considered on their own merit. Applicants may be required to attend interviews or tests to further demonstrate their language proficiency.
Additional Documents Required
Transcript / Certificate
No information is available at present.