Master of Arts/Postgraduate Diploma in Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language (with a specialism in Teaching Chinese as a Second Language in Hong Kong Schools)
Sept 2017 Entry
Programme code: 72017
Duration & Credit Requirement
HK for MA (Part-time)
PH for PgD (Part-time)
30 for MA,
21 for PgD
3 for local students
5 for non-local students
HK$3,200 per credit for local students
HK$4,500 per credit for non-local students
Dr Hsu Yu-yin
- Only the part-time option will be offered for admission in 2017-18. If there are more applicants than the admission quota, higher priority will be accorded to those teaching in schools with higher concentrations of non-Chinese speaking (NCS) students.
- Applications can be made to our postgraduate programmes without the help of agencies. Applicants are required to apply online via the Study@PolyU website: www.polyu.edu.hk/study.
- Please note that all fields in the application forms should be filled. We will not consider applications that do not provide details of academic qualifications.
- Interview may be arranged as deemed appropriate.
- This programme is included in the EDB list of recognised programmes under the "Professional Enhancement Grant Scheme for Chinese Teachers (Teaching Chinese as a Second Language)". For details of the scheme, please visit: www.language-education.com/eng/index.asp.
Aims & Characteristics
The programme develops the intellectual, critical and imaginative abilities of students in relation to Chinese language education. Specifically, it aims to develop students' awareness of and sensitivity to the differences between Chinese and other languages, and the differences between Chinese culture and other cultures. It builds on the diversity of experience that students bring to the course and extends their knowledge of Chinese language, literature and culture to develop their learning and teaching skills, enabling them to develop their careers.
The intended learning outcomes of the MA/PgDTCFL (HKS) are:
- The ability to use simple language to teach Chinese to non-native speakers, and to present complex ideas clearly and articulately in appropriate forms of Chinese;
- The ability to use all types of media, and information technology to obtain information needed for teaching Chinese as a foreign language;
- The ability to assess current issues in literature and linguistics theories in language pedagogy;
- The ability to appreciate and analyse works in Chinese literature and culture;
- The ability to discover, analyse and handle issues in Chinese language teaching and testing;
- The ability to disseminate Chinese cultural traditions;
- The ability to assess problems in teaching Chinese as a foreign language in classroom management, develop solutions to the problems and use those solutions to benefit students;
- The educational abilities of local teachers of Chinese in the HK context will be enhanced through systematic reflection on and acquisition of the necessary background knowledge on the linguistic and cross-cultural background of their students and train them to apply this in their educational activities;
- The intercultural communication skills of local Chinese teachers will be upgraded, so that they are capable of dealing with all possible learning difficulties of non-Chinese native speaker Hong Kong students.
Recognition & Prospects
This programme is ideal for those who dream of living and working in an intercultural academic environment. Graduates not only promote Chinese in international schools at home and abroad, but also become leaders in building bridges between nations through their professional understanding of languages and cultures. They greatly contribute to international peace and prosperity.
MATCFL (HKS) – A total of 30 credits. Students have to complete 6 Compulsory Subjects (18 credits), the MATCFL (HKS) Dissertation (9 credits) or its equivalent the MATCFL (HKS) Final Year Project (6 credits) plus a Supervised Local Internship in Teaching Chinese as a Second Language (3 credits), and an Elective Subject (3 credits).
PgDTCFL (HKS) – A total of 21 credits. Students have to complete 4 Compulsory Subjects (12 credits), the MATCFL (HKS) Final Year Project (6 credits) plus Supervised Local Internship in Teaching Chinese as a Second Language (3 credits).
Core Areas of Study
Compulsory Courses on Theory
- Intercultural Communication#
- Research Methods in Language Teaching and Language Studies
- Second Language Acquisition and Foreign Language Learning#
Compulsory Courses on Chinese Language Pedagogy
- Description of Chinese I: Words and Sentences
- Methodology of Teaching Chinese as a Second Language I#
- The Development and Implementation of School-Based Chinese Language Curriculum in Hong Kong#
- Computer Assisted Chinese Language Teaching
- Computer Tools for the Language Professionals
- Description of Chinese II: Sounds and Script
- Teaching Chinese Grammar to Non-native Speakers
(Take one of the two options)
- MATCFL (HKS) Dissertation
- MATCFL (HKS) Final Year Project#; AND
Supervised Local Internship in Teaching Chinese as a Second Language#
# Subjects to be taken by PgDTCFL (HKS) students.
Brief information on the subjects offered can be obtained at www.cbs.polyu.edu.hk/MAPgDTCFL(HKS).html.
(The above subject list is subject to revision.)
- A Bachelor’s degree from a recognised institution;
- Serving teachers/ teaching assistants of Chinese subjects of local schools.
If you are not a native speaker of English, and your Bachelor's degree or equivalent qualification is awarded by institutions where the medium of instruction is not English, you are expected to fulfil the University’s minimum English language requirement for admission purpose. Please refer to the "Admission Requirements" section for details.
The programme is delivered in Chinese and English.
Additional Documents Required
Transcript / Certificate
No information is available at present.