Master of Science in Global Food Safety Management and Risk Analysis
Sept 2019 Entry
Programme code: 12057
Duration & Credit Requirement
HK$5,300 per credit for local and non-local students
Dr Ka-Hing Wong
BSc, MPhil, PhD
Aims & Characteristics
- To provide a unique and professionally oriented training on global food safety management and risk analysis for science/technology graduates who want to develop their expertise in the area of food safety.
- To provide students with advanced knowledge in the major and newly emerging hazards affecting food safety from a global perspective.
Upon completion of this programme, students should be able to:
- Understand international food standards, laws and regulations and critically evaluate food safety policy as well as legal and sector specific frameworks for food safety management at local, national and international levels;
- Master the knowledge of risk analysis to critically evaluate the risk of major food hazards and address food safety issues worldwide;
- Demonstrate competence in developing risk-based food safety management strategies and implementing food safety management systems (e.g., ISO22000);
- Demonstrate fundamental skills in critical analysis, information technology and communication; and
- Work effectively as an individual and in multi-disciplinary groups with a commitment to lifelong learning to enhance their professional development.
Recognition & Prospects
Upon successful graduation, students will receive PolyU’s official Graduate Certificate and be qualified to obtain the following certificates:
- an official training certificate on risk analysis issued by The Joint Institute for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition (JIFSAN) established by USFDA and University of Maryland; and
- an official certificate on ISO22000 issued by an accredited Certification Body
Excellent job prospects, particularly in food, health and agricultural industries, related government agencies and research institutes in Hong Kong, Mainland China and the region, are available to graduates.
Student studying for MSc in Global Food Safety Management and Risk Analysis would need to complete:
- Food Safety Risk Analysis
- Global Food Safety Management
- Food Safety in Action
- International Food Standards, Laws and Regulations
- Foodborne Chemical and Microbial Hazards: Case Studies
- Global Food Security
- Capstone Project
- A Bachelor's degree with Honours in food safety, food science, food technology, food management, public health or other relevant science disciplines.
If you are not a native speaker of English, and your Bachelor's degree or equivalent qualification is awarded by institutions where the medium of instruction is not English, you are expected to fulfil the University’s minimum English language requirement for admission purpose. Please refer to the "Admission Requirements" section for details.
Additional Documents Required
|12 Jan 2019 (Sat)||2:30PM - 3:30PM||
Room Y521, PolyU