Master of Arts in Chinese Language and Literature (with a specialism in Chinese Language Teaching for Teachers of Non-Chinese Speaking Students)
Sept 2019 Entry
Programme code: 72017
Duration & Credit Requirement
3 for local students
5 for non-local students
HK$3,200 per credit for local students
HK$4,670 per credit for non-local students
Dr Liu Yi
PhD, MA, BA
- This is a mixed-mode programme. Only the part-time option will be offered for admission in 2019-20.
- If there are more applicants than the admissions quota, higher priority will be accorded to those teaching in schools with higher concentrations of non-Chinese speaking students.
- Applications can be made to our postgraduate programmes without the help of agencies. Applicants are required to apply online via the Study@PolyU website: www.polyu.edu.hk/study.
- Please note that all fields in the application forms should be filled. We will not consider applications that do not provide details of academic qualifications.
Aims & Characteristics
This programme helps students to acquire basic knowledge of Chinese language, literature and culture, and the know-how of teaching Chinese as second language and the necessary skills for teaching Chinese to non-Chinese speaking students.
The programme is designed to equip students with the following professional skills:
- the ability to present complex ideas clearly and articulately in appropriate forms of Chinese;
- the ability to assimilate and analyse complex information in different genres or registers of classical or contemporary Chinese, identifying key issues and drawing well-reasoned conclusion;
- the ability to use reference books and information technology to obtain information needed for Chinese teaching and learning;
- the ability to appreciate and analyse works in Chinese literature;
- the ability to discover, analyse and handle issues in Chinese language teaching and testing; and
- the ability to analyse Chinese cultural tradition.
- the ability to assess current issues in literature or linguistic theories.
Lifelong Learning Capability
- the ability to teach Chinese as a second language; and
- the skills necessary to teach Chinese to non-Chinese speaking students.
Recognition & Prospects
This programme is included on the Education Bureau (EDB) list of recognised programmes under the Professional Enhancement Grant Scheme for Chinese Teachers (Teaching Chinese as a Second Language).
The EDB offers a basic subsidy of 30% of the tuition fee of a programme of study under the Scheme, subject to maximum of HK$34,000 per student, upon successful completion of the programme without any undertaking.
To encourage more Chinese language teachers currently teaching Chinese to non-Chinese speaking students to apply for the grant and continue to teach in schools offering the local school curriculum after graduation, an extra 30% of the tuition fee of a programme of study, subject to an additional maximum of HK$30,000 per teacher, is offered to those teachers who do so for a total of three years within the five years after they successfully complete the programme.
For details of the scheme, please visit: www.language-education.com/eng/fssp_seclang.asp.
Students are required to take 10 subjects (total 30 credits) including 6 Compulsory Subjects and 4 Elective Subjects. Three of the Elective Subjects can be replaced by "MACLL Dissertation" if student has obtained permission from the Programme Leader.
Core Areas of Study
- Description of Chinese I: Words and Sentences
- Introduction to Chinese Culture and Classics
- Intercultural Communication
- Methodology of teaching Chinese as a Second Language I
- Second Language Acquisition and Foreign Language Learning
- The Development and Implementation of School-Based Chinese Language Curriculum in Hong Kong
- Description of Chinese II: Sounds and Script
- Literary Theory and Modern Chinese Literature
- MACLL dissertation
- Multimedia Applications for Language Professionals and Translators
- Readings of Classical Literature
- Special Education Needs Associated with Cognitive, Physical and Sensory Disorders
- Special Education Needs in Speaking, Listening, Reading and Writing
- Teaching of Chinese Characters and Words to Non-native Learners
Brief information on the subjects offered can be obtained at www.cbs.polyu.edu.hk/MACLL(TNCS).html.
- A Bachelor’s degree from a recognised institution;
- Serving teacher/ teaching assistant of Chinese subjects of local schools.
Interviews may be arranged as deemed appropriate.
If you are not a native speaker of English, and your Bachelor's degree or equivalent qualification is awarded by institutions where the medium of instruction is not English, you are expected to fulfil the University’s minimum English language requirement for admission purpose. Please refer to the "Admission Requirements" section for details.
Medium of Instruction:
- The medium of instruction of the programme is Chinese and English.
- Students should have some basic ability to understand spoken Cantonese (as some compulsory subjects and electives are taught in Cantonese).
Additional Documents Required
Transcript / Certificate
No information is available at present.