Doctor of Business Administration
Sept 2020 Entry
Programme code: 02007
Duration & Credit Requirement
HK$877,200 per programme (HK$17,200 per credit)
Prof. Wilson Tong
BSocSc, MIM, PhD
Deputy Programme Director
Dr Petrus Choy
MBAcc, DBA, ACA, FCCA, FCPA, CMA
For the latest interview schedule, please refer to DBA website.
Note to Applicants
We have a quota for admissions. Early applications are strongly encouraged. Shortlisted candidates will be invited for interviews.
An incomplete application cannot be processed promptly and would reduce your chance of admission. Please complete all relevant fields on the application form and enclose all necessary documents.
Aims & Characteristics
This programme educates senior executives to be “scholar-leaders” who apply research findings to solve real-world management problems. It integrates academic study and management practice to form a significant part of students’ business careers.
- Broaden, update and deepen students’ knowledge of business administration in general.
- Acquire an in-depth knowledge of a specialist area.
- Sharpen students' ability to conduct original applied research and ethical awareness in business administration.
The Faculty of Business was accredited by AACSB International (The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business) in 2010 in recognition of our business education.
The Faculty of Business was accredited by EQUIS (EFMD Quality Improvement System) in 2007 in recognition of our programmes, research and associated activities.
To enhance the international dimension and academic vigour of PolyU DBA, collaborations have been established with the International Institute for Management Development (IMD) in Switzerland and the Summer School and Executive Programmes Unit of The London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE) in London, U.K..
IMD is ranked first in open programmes worldwide and in the top three in executive education worldwide – eight years in a row (Financial Times, 2012-2019).
LSE, with an international intake and a global reach, has been ranked London’s top university for three years in a row. Its research and teaching span the full breadth of the social sciences, from economics, politics and law to sociology, accounting and finance. For more than 25 years, the School has been offering open enrolment short courses to provide students and professionals with insights into cutting edge research relevant to their studies and work.
Recognition & Prospects
Take the first DBA in the region
The PolyU DBA, launched in 1996, was the region’s first professional and academic doctorate in business and management. The success of the programme was further demonstrated with the extension and launch of the Doctor of Management (DMgt) programme on the Chinese mainland in 2004.
Achieve an intellectual transformation
This programme is designed for business professionals who wish to take their business education to the highest level and appeals to those who are looking for a challenge. It is built on engaged scholarship and evidence-based management to enable students to solve practical issues and complex business problems.
Earn a doctorate while pursuing a career
Take this programme without interrupting your career. Most classes are scheduled on weekends, subject to final arrangement.
Learn in a supportive environment
Study alongside diverse and high calibre achievers from a range of industries and be inspired by the world-class faculty. Gain access to the latest research through different activities and dedicated research centres. Obtain insights from guest speakers, world-class scholars and renowned business leaders.
Become part of an elite network
Extend your network with 460 DBA and DMgt alumni, including business and community leaders, and fellow classmates from diverse backgrounds, fields and locations.
- PolyU DBA is a part-time credit-based programme.
- Students are required to complete 51 credits including 8 taught subjects (a total of 24 credits), 2 DBA Residentials (1 credit for DBA Residential I; 2 credits for DBA Residential II) and a DBA Thesis (8 credits for DBA Thesis I; 16 credits for DBA Thesis II).
- All taught subjects are at an advanced level, and students are assumed to have prior knowledge of each subject area.
- The normal duration of study is 3 years, with a maximum study period of 6 years.
- There is a possible exit award of Master of Science in Management Research Studies for students who have completed 8 taught subjects, 2 DBA Residentials, and passed the DBA Thesis I (thesis proposal presentation) (a total of 35 credits).
- Business Research Analysis & Design
- DBA Residential 1
- DBA Residential 2
- DBA Thesis I
- DBA Thesis II
Core Subjects^ (any two)
- Econometrics Methods
- Qualitative Research & Experimental Design
- Statistical Analysis for Management Research
Elective Subjects^ (any five)
- Advanced Business Strategy
- Advanced Financial Management
- Advanced Topics in Economics for Managers
- Contemporary Issues in Financial Reporting & Corporate Disclosures
- Current Issues in Organisational Behaviour
- Frontier of Leadership Research
- Incentives & Monitoring in Accounting
- Independent Studies in Business
- Independent Studies in Business - International Collaborations Experience
- Services Marketing Management
- Strategic Management of Information & Organisation in Digital Economy
- Strategic Marketing
- Strategic Quality Management
- Strategic Supply Chain & Logistics Management
^ 1. Normally, each subject will be offered once during the 3-year study. However, subject to factors such as staff availability, student enrolment, programme resources and so on, not all subjects will be offered during the 3-year study. And, registration is subject to the availability of quota.
2. Programme structure and the subject details (e.g. subject description form, offering pattern, class timetable etc.) are subject to review and change from time to time.
Attendance at the 2 DBA Residentials is compulsory.
DBA Residential 1 is a 2 to 3 day mandatory orientation workshop scheduled for the beginning of the programme in August/September.
DBA Residential 2 is a research workshop which is held normally in May / June after students have completed all the required subjects. The main purpose of the workshop is to give students an opportunity to present their thesis proposals and to prepare them for writing the theses.
Students must pass the Compulsory Subject, 2 Core Subjects and at least 3 Elective Subjects before beginning their theses. In the Thesis, students need to integrate and apply what they have learned to critically and rigorously examine a topic of interest in the field of business or management. They are challenged to make an important contribution and/or provide innovative insights to the practice of management.
Latest information on the subjects offered can be obtained at https://fb.polyu.edu.hk/dba.
- A Master's degree, preferably in a business-related area;
- Substantial managerial experience (at least 8 years) at a senior level; or
- Candidates in senior management positions possessing a recognised first degree and membership of a recognised professional body may also be considered on a case-by-case basis.
If you are not a native speaker of English, and your Master's degree or equivalent qualification is awarded by institutions where the medium of instruction is not English, you are expected to fulfil the University’s minimum English language requirement for admission purpose. Please refer to the "Admission Requirements" section for details.
Candidates are required to submit a personal statement at the time of application.
Shortlisted applicants will be invited for admission interviews.
- Most classes are scheduled on weekends, subject to the final arrangement of the programme.
Additional Documents Required
Transcript / Certificate
Please provide an official English-translated version of your academic qualifications (such as graduation certificates, transcripts of studies, etc.).
No information is available at present.