Doctor of FinTech
Jan 2021 Entry
Programme code: 02014
Duration & Credit Requirement
4 for local and non-local students
HK$826,200 per programme (HK$16,200 per credit) for local and non-local students
Prof. Wilson Tong
BSocSc, MIM, PhD
Deputy Programme Director
Dr Steven Wei
PhD, MA, MSc, BSc
- Duration of Study: Students who wish to extend their studies beyond normal duration can submit such request to Departments/Faculties for consideration, as appropriate.
Aims & Characteristics
The DFinTech Programme aims to expose students to how digital changes impact the financial industry and to equip them with state-of-the-art knowledge in the FinTech area. The DFinTech Programme is designed to integrate academic study with management practice to transform students into “scholar-leaders” in the FinTech field.
- Broaden, update and deepen students’ understanding and appreciation of how digital transformation and technological innovations impact the business world, and the ethical implications.
- Acquire an in-depth knowledge of digital technologies in the financial industry.
- Acquire the ability to conduct original applied research in tech-related business areas.
To enhance the international dimension and academic vigour of PolyU DFinTech, there will be collaborations with premier international institution(s) to provide opportunities for students to join various programmes offered by these institution(s).
Recognition & Prospects
- Pioneering FinTech doctorate in the world.
- Benefit from pooled resources of different faculties.
- Integrate academic study, applied research and management practice.
- Embrace digital transformation and technological innovations.
- Explore the potential of digital economics/finance.
- PolyU DFinTech is a part-time credit-based programme.
- Students are required to complete 51 credits, composed of 8 taught subjects (a total of 24 credits), 2 Residentials (1 credit for DFinTech Residential 1; 2 credits for DFinTech Residential 2) and a Thesis (8 credits for DFinTech Thesis I; 16 credits for DFinTech Thesis II).
- All taught subjects are at an advanced level, and students are assumed to have prior knowledge of each subject area.
- The normal duration of study is 3 years.
- There is a possible exit award of Master of Science in Management Research Studies for students who have completed 8 taught subjects and 2 Residentials, and passed Thesis I (thesis proposal presentation) (a total of 35 credits).
- Research and Design for Thesis
- DFinTech Residential 1
- DFinTech Residential 2
- DFinTech Thesis I
- DFinTech Thesis II
Core Subjects^ (any one)
- Introduction to Quantitative Research
- Introduction to Qualitative Research
Elective Subjects^ (any six)
- Big Data Analytics and Artificial Intelligence
- Cryptography and Blockchain
- Digital Supply Chain Management
- Economics of FinTech
- Independent Studies in FinTech*
- Management and Marketing in the Digital World
- Overseas Executive Programmes
- Smart City and Urban Informatics
* Independent Studies in FinTech is only offered to students if they are unable to follow the normal pattern of study of this programme due to exceptional circumstances such as illness or posting to work outside Hong Kong; these students can enrol in this elective subject in a particular semester.
^ 1. Not all subjects will be offered in a given year, subject to factors such as staff availability, student enrolment, programme resources and so on.
2. Programme structure and the subject details (e.g. subject description form, offering pattern, class timetable etc.) are subject to review and change from time to time.
Attendance at the 2 Residentials is compulsory.
DFinTech Residential 1 is a 2/3-day mandatory orientation workshop scheduled for the beginning of the programme in September.
DFinTech Residential 2 is a research workshop that is normally held in May/June after students have completed the required taught subjects. The main purpose of the workshop is to give students an opportunity to present their thesis proposals and to prepare them for writing their theses.
Students must pass the Compulsory Subjects, 1 Core Subject and at least 4 Elective Subjects before beginning their theses. In the Thesis, students need to integrate and apply what they have learned to critically and rigorously examine a topic of interest. They are challenged to make an important contribution and/or provide innovative insights for management practice.
The latest information on the subjects offered can be obtained at https://fb.polyu.edu.hk/dfintech.
- A Master’s degree, preferably in a business-related area.
- Substantial managerial experience (at least 8 years) at a senior management level.
- Candidates in senior management positions who possess a recognised first degree and membership of a recognised professional body may also be considered on a case-by-case basis.
If you are not a native speaker of English, and your Master's degree or equivalent qualification is awarded by institutions where the medium of instruction is not English, you are expected to fulfil the University’s minimum English language requirement for admission purpose. Please refer to the "Admission Requirements" section for details.
Candidates are required to submit a proposal in the FinTech area (1,200 - 2,000 words) at the time of application. Shortlisted applicants will be invited for admission interviews.
- Most classes are scheduled on weekends, subject to the final arrangements of the programme.
Additional Documents Required
Transcript / Certificate