Master of Science in Environmental Management and Engineering
Sept 2020 Entry
Programme code: 04001
Duration & Credit Requirement
1 year (Full-time)
2.5 years (Part-time)
For local students
For non-local students
HK$4,500 per credit for local students
HK$5,000 per credit for non-local students
Entry Scholarships are available. For details, please visit
PolyU reserves the right to change or withdraw the scholarship at any time. In case of any dispute/disagreement, PolyU’s decision is final.
Prof. Chu Wei
BSc, MEng, PhD, PE
This programme is offered within the Postgraduate Scheme in Construction and Environment.
Aims & Characteristics
The programme aims to provide EITHER (1) studies of a conversion nature for those graduates without formal environmental qualifications who are working or would like to work in the environmental protection field OR (2) studies of an in-depth nature for those graduates who have already possessed a Bachelor's qualification in environmental science or engineering.
The programme provides students with engineering and management knowledge to tackle environmental engineering problems in the field of construction, industrial and infrastructure development, and to embrace sustainable development and the requisite international standards of environmental and energy conservation.
This programme, which offers both in-depth and conversion study, suits both graduates and professionals with previous qualifications who wish to gain advanced knowledge of environmental engineering and management or to diversify their expertise into the environmental fields. It allows students the flexibility to choose environmental engineering and environmental management subjects to build up knowledge in line with their specific needs.
Recognition & Prospects
This is a mixed-mode programme. Students can pursue their studies in either full-time or part-time mode. The programme will normally be completed in 1 year for full-time study or in 2.5 years for part-time study depending on the pace of study of individual student. Students are required to attend classes in daytime and evening if they choose the full-time mode.
A wide range of subjects offered under the Postgraduate Scheme in Construction and Environment are available for student's selection. In general, each subject requires 3 hours of attendance per week over a 13-week semester.
Students must complete 10 subjects (including at least 7 Core Subjects and at most 3 Elective Subjects) or 7 subjects (including at least 4 Core Subjects and at most 3 Elective Subjects) plus a 9-credit Dissertation.
Part-time students are strongly advised not to take more than 3 subjects per semester due to heavy study load.
Core Areas of Study
- Water & Wastewater Treatment
- Air Pollution Control
- Noise Pollution Control
- Contaminated Land and Sediment Remediation
- Water & Wastewater Treatment Plant Design
- Drainage Design
- Environmental Impact Assessment
- Solid & Hazardous Waste Management
- Risk Assessment & Management
- Environmental Management Systems & Audit
- Sustainable Development & Environmental Planning
- Global Climate Change & Society Response
- Indoor Air Quality Management
- Urban Transport Planning - Theory & Practice*
- Dissertation on a specific topic
Most Core Subjects are offered every year while some subjects are offered in alternate years.
Information on the subjects offered can be obtained at https://www.polyu.edu.hk/cee/prospectivestudents/ps-taught-postgraduate-programmes/msc-in-environmental-management-and-engineering.
* This subject is included in the list of reimbursable courses for Continuing Education Fund (CEF).
- A Bachelor's degree with Honours in environmental engineering, civil engineering, chemical engineering, building services engineering, mechanical engineering or applied science, or an equivalent qualification.
- Applicants must also meet the English language requirement of the University.
- Please visit www.polyu.edu.hk/study for details.
For further information on academic matters, please contact:
Prof. Chu Wei
Tel: (852) 2766 6075
For general enquiries, please contact:
General Office, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Tel: (852) 2766 4789
Fax: (852) 2334 6389
Additional Documents Required
Transcript / Certificate
Recommendation letters from any professional institutions or copies of professional qualifications are optional.