Sept 2020 Entry
Programme code: 05001
Duration & Credit Requirement
3 years (Full-time)
5 years (Part-time)
HK$74,800 per semester for full-time mode
3 credits for candidates of part-time mode
HK$74,800 per semester for full-time mode
HK$9,350 per credit for part-time mode
Remarks: Full-time candidates will be charged HK$74,800 per semester for 6 semesters (which is the normal duration for completing the programme on a full-time basis) whereas part-time candidates will be charged HK$9,350 per credit for 48 credits.
The total tuition fee of the 48-credit programme is HK$448,800 for both full-time and part-time candidates.
Full-time candidates having taken all the 48 credits earlier than the normal registration period (i.e. 6 semesters) will be required to pay the remaining fee when they submit their thesis for oral examination.
The normal duration for the completion of thesis is consecutive six semesters. Approval has to be sought for extending the completion of thesis beyond six semesters and an extension fee of HK$28,050 per semester will be charged.
Candidates have to bear flight cost, hotel accommodation fees, make extra travel insurance arrangement according to individual needs (especially for those who wish to advance or extend their stay in the destination. Basic travel insurance will be provided by the University covering the designated period of the study trip), etc. if they select overseas study trips as their electives.
Prof. Winco K.C. Yung
PhD, FHKIE, CEng, MIEEE, SrMHKSQ
- This programme will not invite applications for admission in 2020-21.
- This programme is co-hosted by the following academic departments:
- Department of Biomedical Engineering;
- Department of Computing;
- Department of Electrical Engineering;
- Department of Electronic and Information Engineering;
- Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering; and
- Department of Mechanical Engineering.
We have a quota for admissions. Early applications are strongly encouraged. Shortlisted candidates will be invited for interviews. Offers will be made on a rolling-basis.
An incomplete application cannot be processed promptly and may reduce your chance of admission. Please complete all relevant fields on the application form and upload all necessary documents.
Aims & Characteristics
This programme is targeted for those who are in or are aspiring to be in senior management or principal research and development positions in companies/organisations that are involved in science, technology and engineering. The curriculum is designed to improve the candidates' skills in management of innovation and technology, enhance professional competence and expertise in specific engineering fields and strengthen capabilities in research, innovation and technology transfer from a practical perspective.
The programme comprises two equally weighted components: coursework and thesis. The coursework aims at reinforcing and expanding candidates' breadth of knowledge in management of innovation and advanced technologies. The thesis, which is company/organisation related, should make a significant contribution and/or provide innovative insights into professional practice in an engineering discipline.
Recognition & Prospects
The award “Doctor of Engineering” will be granted on successful completion of all subjects (as listed in curriculum) and a thesis. Graduates can use the title “Dr”.
An EngD candidate, upon graduation, should be able:
- To understand the ethics in research;
- To formulate, implement, and evaluate global operations strategies for achieving competitive advantage in a technological context; and to manage successfully the 21st century technological enterprises;
- To possess the knowledge of technological innovation and transformation as well as business sustainability and apply them in technological enterprises, and to provide managers with the concepts, framework, and managerial skills to analyse, plan and lead complex systems projects;
- To understand the current issues and development in the planning and choice performance management systems for firms and organisations to achieve their missions and business goals, and to apply the knowledge learnt in the selection and implementation of appropriate performance management practices for various types of organisational settings;
- To understand the importance of environmental management and the role of different parties on cleaner production and sustainable product development; and to acquire the knowledge of the updated environmental technologies in handling and controlling various types of pollution; and
- To investigate or conduct a critical study of an engineering problem which demonstrates innovation and creativity and results in a significant contribution to engineering practice within an industrial/professional context.
- Candidates are required to pass 5 Compulsory Subjects and 3 Elective Subjects, with a minimum Award GPA (AGPA) of 3.0, and complete a thesis.
- Compulsory Subjects: Research Methodology; Global Operations Strategy; Systems Transformation & Analysis; Performance Management Systems & Design; Economy, Energy & Environment: Strategies for Sustainable Development.
- Elective Subjects: Technological Innovation & Strategy (recommended study trip), Strategic Lean Management (recommended study trip), a pool of guided study subjects/ special topics from the six co-hosting departments.
- The thesis should be innovative and applicable in a professional context. The research results should also reach a standard worthy of publication in a peer-reviewed archival journal.
- The normal duration for completing the thesis is six semesters.
- Candidates are encouraged to follow a recommended study pattern.
Core Areas of Study
This is a brief summary of the core areas for the topic of thesis. Candidates are provided with detailed information on these topics for selection upon registration.
- Biomedical Engineering
Medical Imaging, Bioinstrumentation & Biosensing, Neuromusculoskeletal Science & Engineering, Prosthetics & Orthotics, Rehabilitation Engineering.
Networking & Mobile Computing, Smart Enterprise Information Systems & Big Data Analytics, Knowledge Engineering & Human Centered Computing, Smart Computing & Systems for Smart City, Healthcare & Green Energy, Security & Privacy, Computing Systems & Software Engineering.
- Electrical Engineering
Power Electronics, Power Systems, Applied Electromagnetics, Electricity Utilisation, Photonic Sensors, Smart Materials & Devices, Fiber Optics Sensors, Smart Grids, Micro-/Nano-Devices & Sensors.
- Electronic and Information Engineering
Digital Signal Processing & Machine Intelligence, Power Electronics & Power Distribution, Communication Systems & Optical Networks, Photonics & Optical Devices.
- Industrial and Systems Engineering
Logistics Systems Engineering, Product Design & Rapid Prototyping, Reverse Engineering & Product Data Management, Advanced Manufacturing Technologies, Functional & Electronic Materials, Eco-Design & Green Manufacturing, Industrial Environment Issues, Advanced Materials Processing, Materials Technology, Laser Materials Processing, Precision Motion Control & Product Engineering, Information Systems & Management Automation, Knowledge & Technology Management, Business Automation & E-Commerce Engineering, Ultra-precision Machining & Precision Metrology, Logistics Engineering, Engineering Management & Supply Chain Management, Production Monitoring, Robotics, Automation & Control.
- Mechanical Engineering
Metallic & Nuclear Materials, Environmental Degradation of Materials, Computational Materials Design & Modeling, Nanomaterials & Nanotechnology for Energy Conversions & Storages, Recyclable & Reusable High Performance Structural Composites, Functional Composites, Noise Control & Abatement, Flow-Induced Vibrations & Vibroacoustics, Advanced Electrode Materials for Energy Storage, Electrochemical Technologies for Energy & Environmental Applications, Drying of High Value Products, Supersonic & Hypersonic Aerodynamics, Detonation, Active flow Control, Unmanned Air Vehicles (UAVs), Urban Wind Environment Simulation.
- A Master's degree in an engineering discipline that is relevant to biomedical engineering, computing, electrical engineering, electronic and information engineering, industrial and systems engineering or mechanical engineering (under exceptional circumstances, admission may be granted to holders of good Bachelor's degrees with Honours in a relevant engineering discipline);
- All applicants are expected to have substantial and relevant work experience.
Applicants are also expected to demonstrate maturity, motivation, commitment and skill in communicating in English.
Applicants who obtain a degree from a university of which the language of instruction is not English are expected to fulfil the following minimum English proficiency requirement:
- A score of 80 or above (on the Internet-based test), or 550 or above (on the paper-based test) in the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL); or
- An overall Band Score of at least 6 in the International English Language Testing System (IELTS); or
- Other equivalent qualifications to be considered by the Faculty.
Individual cases will be considered on their own merit by the department. Applicants may be required to attend interviews or tests to further demonstrate their language proficiency.
For further information on academic matters, please contact:
Prof. Winco Yung (tel: (852) 2766 6599; email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
For further information on admission matters, please contact:
Ms Stephanie Wong (tel: (852) 3400 3813; email: email@example.com)
Departmental Programme Leaders:
Prof. Ming Zhang (tel: (852) 2766 4939; email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
Prof. Jane You (tel: (852) 2766 7293; email: email@example.com)
Dr S.Q. Bu (tel: (852) 2766 6163; email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
Electronic and Information Engineering
Dr Daniel Lun (tel: (852) 2766 6255; email: email@example.com)
Industrial and Systems Engineering
Prof. Yangmin Li (tel: (852) 2766 4978; email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
Dr David Navarro-Alarcon (tel: (852) 2766 7816; email: email@example.com)
Additional Documents Required
Transcript / Certificate