Master of Science in Health Informatics
Sept 2020 Entry
Programme code: 06003
Duration & Credit Requirement
1 year (Full-time)
3 years (Part-time)
3 for local students
6 for non-local students
HK$3,600 per credit for local students
HK$4,800 per credit for non-local students
Targeted Taught Postgraduate Programmes Fellowships Scheme
A total of 10 fellowships shall be awarded to local students. Please click here for details.
PolyU reserves the right to change or withdraw the fellowship at any time. In case of any dispute/disagreement, PolyU’s decision is final.
Prof. Thomas Choi
BSc, MPhil, PhD
Aims & Characteristics
The overall aim of the programme is to offer an opportunity for professionals in healthcare and related disciplines to develop the necessary knowledge, understanding and competencies needed to function more effectively, and to master the advanced use of information technology skills in healthcare settings.
This programme is the first of its kind in Hong Kong, and it aims to equip healthcare professionals and graduates from health-related or information technology- or engineering-related backgrounds with advanced information technology skills for use in healthcare settings. The course content addresses the needs of healthcare providers and allows for introduction, re-orientation and/or conversion to a field that is of direct relevance to the student's place of employment.
Recognition & Prospects
Students need to complete 3 Compulsory Subjects, 2 Core Subjects and 2 Elective Subjects plus a Dissertation (alternatively, any 3 Core/Elective Subjects replace the Dissertation).
Core Areas of Study
- Electronic Patient Records
- Information Technology in Healthcare
- Professional Development in Health Informatics
- Applied Biosignal Processing
- Artificial Intelligence Concepts
- Business Analytics
- Business Intelligence & Data Mining
- Computer Programming for Healthcare
- Digital Imaging & PACS
- Knowledge Management for Clinical Applications
- Machine Learning & Data Analytics
- Management Information Systems
- Project Management
- Software Project Management
- Technology Innovation & Management
- Advanced Technology & Clinical Application in Nuclear Medicine Imaging
- Big Data Computing
- Bioinformatics in Health Sciences
- Data Structures & Database Systems
- Ethics & Law in Clinical Practice
- Health & Social Policy Analysis
- Health Care Ethics
- Healthcare Innovation
- Intellectual Property, Standards & Regulations of Medical Devices
- Internet Computing & Applications
- Issues in Health Sociology
- Quality Management of Health Care Services
- Rehabilitation Engineering
- Research Methods & Biostatistics
- Research Methods & Data Analysis
- Virtual Reality in Healthcare
- A Bachelor's degree in either a health-related discipline, information technology, engineering or applied sciences, or the equivalent, from a recognised university and, preferably, relevant post-qualification experience in health-related services or industries.
If you are not a native speaker of English, and your Bachelor's degree or equivalent qualification is awarded by institutions where the medium of instruction is not English, you are expected to fulfil the University’s minimum English language requirement for admission purpose. Please refer to the "Admission Requirements" section for details.
For academic matters, please contact:
Prof. Thomas Choi (tel: (852) 3400 3214; email: firstname.lastname@example.org).
Additional Documents Required
Transcript / Certificate
Copies of transcripts and graduation certificates are required.