Master of Science in Global Hospitality Business
Sept 2020 Entry
Programme code: 24043
Duration & Credit Requirement
12 credits at Ecole hôtelière de Lausanne (EHL) in the 1st semester
Students should pay the tuition fees directly to the institution where the courses are offered. The estimated total is approximately HK$493,000 (Subject to review). Prospective students should note that the tuition fees do not include other additional expenses. For more details, please check with the host institution.
Dr Catherine Cheung
Associate Dean and Associate Professor
The SHTM offers a considerable number of scholarships of up to HKD50,000 to qualified students in the MSc in Global Hospitality Business programme who have demonstrated a high level of academic merit, honours, and awards. For details, please visit shtm.polyu.edu.hk.
Aims & Characteristics
The programme aim is to develop global hospitality managers with a regional awareness derived from first-hand business experience. While balancing the arts and sciences of hospitality, they are equipped with the knowledge and skills to excel in a multicultural environment.
- Students learn from faculty with international backgrounds, are immersed in the culture and business practices of each continent, and attend numerous professional seminars.
- Students join a talented cohort from across the globe to develop a hospitable attitude and construct their management toolbox while enjoying an exceptional proximity to buoyant markets and industry leaders.
- A particular high point is the completion of a real-life consultancy capstone project assigned by our industry partners. A multi-cultural team of three to four students will be formed for each project.
- Students experience three world-class campuses and research centres and access three outstanding alumni networks. While gaining exposure to the latest trends in the hospitality and service industries, they refine their career plans and shape their global perspectives.
- Upon graduation, students of this exceptional programme receive the MSc in Global Hospitality Business degree awarded by their home institution and a “Certificate of Completion” issued by the other two partner institutions.
Recognition & Prospects
Support for the programme has been sought from the industry, as follows:
Accor • Bench Events • Candrian Catering • citizenM hotels • Dorchester Collection • Dusit International • Fairmont Raffles Hotels International • Four Seasons Hotels & Resorts • Groupe Laurent-Perrier • Harilela Hotels • Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre • Hong Thai Travel Services • Hyatt International • Jumeirah Group • Marco Polo Hotels • Mövenpick Hotels & Resorts • Pacific Asia Travel Association • Regal Hotels International • Rhombus International Hotels Group • Servair • STR • Swiss International Air Lines • Swissôtel Hotels & Resorts • The Indian Hotels Company • Travel Industry Council of Hong Kong • Worldhotels • Yue Hwa Chinese Products Emporium
Compulsory Subjects taken at Ecole hôtelière de Lausanne (EHL) (1st semester)
- Hospitality Business Strategies in Europe, Middle East & Africa (3 credits)
- Hospitality Real Estate Finance & Investments (3 credits)
- Advanced Corporate Finance & Concepts of International Finance (3 credits)
- Business Research Methods & Project Management Tools (3 credits)
Compulsory Subjects taken at The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (PolyU) (2nd semester)
- Marketing Management in the Hospitality & Tourism Industry (3 credits)
- Revenue Management in Hospitality Industry (3 credits)
- Quality Service Management for the Hospitality & Tourism Industry (3 credits)
- Hospitality Business Strategies in Asia - China Hotel & Tourism Business Studies (3 credits)
- Business Consulting Project (6 credits)
Compulsory Subjects taken at University of Houston (UH) (3rd semester)
- Hospitality Business Strategies in the Americas & the Caribbean (3 credits)
- Innovative Hospitality Technologies (3 credits)
- Organisational Behaviour & Hospitality Leadership Strategies (3 credits)
- Elective (3 credits)
- The credits required for graduation are 36 only. Students are expected to apply for transferring any 9 out of 12 credits which are taken at EHL and UH respectively to PolyU. To this end, there will be 18 out of 36 credits transferred from the said institutions to PolyU.
- Business Consulting Project carries 6 credits. A multi-cultural team of 3 to 4 students will work together for the project. This project is considered as a subject taken at PolyU.
- 1-2 subjects offered at PolyU may be taught in the summer term.
- A Bachelor’s degree in the areas of hospitality and tourism management or another discipline with current or past employment in the hospitality industry for not less than one year.
If the applicant is a non-native speaker of English and his/her Bachelor’s degree or equivalent qualification is awarded by an institution where the medium of instruction is not English, the applicant is required to demonstrate his/her proficiency in English by achieving:
- A Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score of 100 (with 20 in writing) for the Internet-based test or 600 for the paper-based test;
- An overall Band Score of at least 7 (with 6.5 in writing) in the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
Applicants may be required to attend interviews or tests to further demonstrate their language proficiency.
All applicants should also submit the following documents together with a completed online application form:
- Personal resume (CV);
- The graduation certificate of your undergraduate degree (see notes below);
- Copies of transcripts from all colleges and universities attended (see notes below);
- Proof of employment record(s)
- A self-recommendation letter that includes a self-introduction, career aspirations and reasons for applying to this programme (not more than 400 words);
- Proof of TOEFL or IELTS to demonstrate your English proficiency;
- At least one letter of recommendation from either your employer or university;
- Other professional records or attainments, if any.
- For those applicants whose qualifications attained from the Chinese mainland, you are required to provide with the Academic Credential (学历证书) to prove that you have completed the academic learning in an institution under the Ministry of Education (MoE) system, and was admitted to the institution in accordance with the standards stipulated by MoE.
- Further to the above, the applicants concerned are also required to provide with Degree Certificate (学位证书) to certify the level of academic attainment (i.e. Bachelor's, Master's or Doctorate level) and to confirm that the certificate was issued by the tertiary institution approved by MoE.
- If applicant's graduation certificate(s)/academic transcript(s) is/are not written in English, s/he should provide an official and translated copy of each graduation certificate or academic transcript in English to serve the admissions purpose. Otherwise, the application may not be considered.
- Our School considers applications on a rolling basis until all the places are filled. Applicants are highly encouraged to apply for admission as early as possible.
For further information on academic matters, please contact:
Dr Catherine Cheung (tel: (852) 3400 2259; email: firstname.lastname@example.org).
Alternatively, please visit the SHTM's website at www.polyu.edu.hk/htm/msc/glhb.
Additional Documents Required
A personal resume (CV) is required
Transcript / Certificate
Proof of past and current employment record(s) is/are required to demonstrate that you have obtained 1 year of work experience.
Proof of TOFEL or IELTS results to demonstrate English proficiency is required if you are not a native English speaker.
Else if you are a native English speaker, you can submit a proof (e.g. your passport copy to show your nationality) to pass through the required field.
At least one letter of recommendation from either your employer or university is required.
No information is available at present.