Doctor of International Real Estate and Construction
Sept 2020 Entry
Programme code: 32109
Duration & Credit Requirement
HK$8,000 per credit for local and non-local students
Prof. Eddie C.M. Hui
BSc(Hons), MPhil(Cantab), PhD(Cantab), FHKIS. MRICS
- This programme is offered by the Department of BRE.
- This is a new programme. Its implementation is subject to validation results and the final approval of the University.
Aims & Characteristics
The Doctor of International Real Estate and Construction programme is designed for senior executives with more than 8 years of experience in the construction and real estate industry, who thus possess the core knowledge and basic competence needed to fulfil their duties. Many of them have already attained a significant knowledge base. We help these professionals to build new ideas, develop positive values and attitudes, and upscale their capabilities for self-fulfilment and career advancement. It aims to provide a genuinely innovative professional development experience to enrich executives' theoretical and technical knowledge, develop their management and leadership skills, and equip them with the right mindset to fulfil senior or top management roles in the modern construction and real estate finance market.
The programme aims relating to personal and professional achievement are as follows:
- to enrich participants’ theoretical and technical knowledge for top level advancement in the construction and real estate industry;
- to develop participants’ management and leadership skills; and
- to equip participants with applicable alternative perspectives to address competition in the modern construction and real estate market.
Students are provided with the most advanced knowledge of the operation of the construction and real estate markets, including construction project management, the application of information technology in the construction and real estate industry, urban economic processes, urban and regional planning, price determination for land and real estate, environmental issues and other relevant professional issues. Due to the complex influence of public policy and the global economic environment, this programme will support the students with comprehensive thinking and analysis methods.
Recognition & Prospects
The programme comprises 51 credits. The normal duration of the programme is three years, comprising Semester 1, Semester 2 and an optional Summer Term in each year. Students who have successfully completed the programme are granted a Doctor of International Real Estate and Construction (DIREC) award by The Hong Kong Polytechnic University.
To be eligible for the DIREC award, students are required to complete 9 taught subjects (a total of 27 credits) and a Thesis (8 credits for Thesis I; 16 credits for Thesis II). Normally, students study 2 to 3 subjects in each semester; they are expected to take and complete 1 Core Subject in Year One and 1 Compulsory Subject in Year Two.
Core Areas of Study
The subjects are delivered in the following order, with some flexibility to cater for overseas professors and experts who may be invited to deliver the subjects, together with the regular academic staff from BRE:
- Advanced Research Methods for Real Estate and Construction**
- Strategic Project Management
- Digital Technologies for Construction Projects
- Real Estate Finance and Appraisal
- Urban and Regional Planning
- Topical issues in Construction
- Topical issues in Real Estate
- International Study Visit 1** (Europe or North America)
- International Study Visit 2** (Asia Pacific)
- Professional Workshop in Real Estate
- Professional Workshop in Construction
- Doctoral Thesis I #
- Doctoral Thesis II
** Compulsory subjects (for the two international study visit subjects, students are required to pay for their own travel/accommodation costs, etc.).
# Doctoral Thesis I: Students are required to pass this subject (i.e. 8 credits). The subject is an essential component in the programme, which assists students in developing a proposal for Doctoral Thesis II.
- A Master's degree, preferably in a construction or real estate related area or relevant discipline, plus substantial industry experience (preferably at least 8 years) at middle to senior management level.
- Exceptionally, special admission to non-Master's degree holders may be offered to experienced senior industry executives, preferably possessing at least 12 years of industry experience in management positions.
The entrance requirements for English Language are those set by the University. If you are not a native speaker of English, and your Bachelor's degree or equivalent qualification is awarded by institutions where the medium of instruction is not English, you are expected to fulfil the University’s minimum English language requirement for admission purpose. Please refer to the "Admission Requirements" section for details.
For further information on academic matters and the curricula, please contact :
Prof. Eddie Hui (for real estate related Issues)
Tel: (852) 2766 5881
Dr Daniel Chan (for construction related issues)
Tel: (852) 2766 4387
Ms Connie Yap (General Office)
Tel: (852) 3400 3819
Additional Documents Required
|23 Feb 2020 (Sun)||3:00PM - 4:00PM||
Y412, 4/F, Lee Shau Kee Building (Block Y), PolyU
Speaker: Prof. Eddie Hui, Programme Coordinator
For registration, please click here.