Master of Science/Postgraduate Diploma in Engineering Business Management
Sept 2020 Entry
Programme code: 45080
Duration & Credit Requirement
EDM for MSc (Full-time)
EFP for PgD (Full-time)
EPM for MSc (Part-time)
EPP for PgD (Part-time)
1.5 years (Full-time)
3 years (Part-time)
Please refer to the Curriculum section in the programme entry.
1 module (equivalent to 3 credits) for local part-time students;
HK$80,000 (fees for 3 modules [9 credits] and 1 dissertation) for non-local students commencing their studies from 1 Jan 2020
HK$13,000 per module for local students
HK$16,000 per module for non-local students commencing their studies from 1 Jan 2020
Note: A HK$26,000 Project (Dissertation) fee will also be charged for local students.
For non-local students commencing their studies from 1 Jan 2020, a HK$32,000 Project (Dissertation) fee will be charged.
Director of Studies
Prof. Man Hau-chung
BSc(Eng), MSc, PhD, DIC, CEng, FIMMM, FHKEng, FLIA, MHKIE
- This programme is jointly offered by PolyU and the University of Warwick, UK, under the Integrated Graduate Development Scheme (IGDS).
- This is an exempted programme under the Non-local Higher and Professional Education (Regulation) Ordinance in Hong Kong. It is a matter of discretion for individual employers to recognise any qualification to which this programme may lead.
Aims & Characteristics
The MSc in Engineering Business Management is designed for those who want to become managers and leaders in technology-based businesses. It provides a multidisciplinary education that integrates engineering, business, management and IT with analytical tools and techniques to provide participants with the means to improve internal and external operations as well as the processes and technologies used by engineering businesses.
Participants will develop skills in research, analysis and the evaluation of complex business problems through a methodical approach to problem solving and decision making.
This multidisciplinary and flexible programme offers over 20 modules that blend four major subject areas: Direction Motivation and Care of People, Business, Operations, and Manufacturing.
Students can attend the programme in full-time study mode and complete it at a faster pace. They can add or drop modules, change their mode of attendance and even attend in different countries to suit their own schedules.
In addition to strong academic support from both PolyU and the University of Warwick, local experts and industrialists provide updates on the latest developments in their companies and discuss application and implementation issues.
Non-local applicants are welcome to apply to study in this programme in Hong Kong.
Recognition & Prospects
This MSc degree is jointly awarded by The Hong Kong Polytechnic University and The University of Warwick, UK.
This industry-led programme adopts multidisciplinary and innovative approaches to provide participants with a thorough understanding of key elements in Direction Motivation and Care of People, Business, Operations, and Manufacturing, and subsequently enable them to apply the management techniques for improving the integration of business operation systems.
For the MSc
A minimum of nine modules, of which;
at least two modules from designated Direction Motivation and Care of People or Business modules;
at least five modules from designated Operations or Manufacturing modules; and
For the PgD
Students must either complete (i) 12 taught modules or (ii) 6 modules plus a Dissertation.
Core Areas of Study
The following provides a list of the modules for the various core areas of study. Students can construct their own programmes from the following four main areas:
Direction Motivation and Care of People
- Leading Change
- Organisations, People and Performance
- Business Strategy and Strategic Management
- Digital Marketing, Systems & Techniques
- Financial Analysis and Control Systems
- Financial Strategy
- International Joint Ventures
- Legal Aspects of Global Business
- Strategic Marketing
- Enterprise Information Systems
- Leadership and Excellence
- Service Design and Delivery
- Storage and Warehousing Techniques
- Technology Management
- Transport Techniques and Management
- Industrial Engineering for Business Improvement
- Logistics and Operations Management
- Operations Strategy for Industry
- Procurement and Inventory Management
- Product Design and Development Management
- Project Planning, Management and Control
- Quality Management and Techniques
- Supply Chain Management
- Bachelor's degree with Honours;
- Post-experience Diploma or Higher Diploma with acceptable work experience;
- Mature applicants with significant relevant experience will be considered on individual merit.
- IELTS 6.5, or TOEFL iBT 92, or the equivalent
- Student Admission
- Part-time or local applicants: January/April/July/October intake
- Full-time non-local applicants: January/August intake
- Each module, which can be completed within one to two weeks, comprises 40 hours of lectures, case studies, syndicate sessions, hands-on workshops, visits and in-house assignments.
For enquiries on application matters, please contact:
IGDS/IMDS Administration Unit, The Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering, Room EF611, Core F, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hung Hom, Kowloon
(tel: (852) 2766 6606/(852) 2766 7984/(852) 2766 6624; fax: (852) 2764 4471; email: email@example.com);
or visit our website at www.igds.polyu.edu.hk.
Additional Documents Required
Transcript / Certificate
An English language qualification certificate