Master of Science in Industrial Logistics Systems
Sept 2020 Entry
Programme code: 45100
Duration & Credit Requirement
1 year (Full-time)
2 years (Part-time)
6 for local students
12 for non-local students
HK$3,800 per credit for local students
HK$5,000 per credit for non-local students
Prof. P Ji
BSc (NE Heavy MachineryInst), MSc (Beijing Univ. Aeronautics & Astronautics), PhD (W Virginia)
This programme is offered within the Postgraduate Scheme in Industrial and Systems Engineering.
Aims & Characteristics
The programme is designed for the transformation of the logistics industry under the new economy. It aims to provide students with the use of information technology and managerial approaches in improving inbound logistics, production and outbound logistics so as to create value for the customers.
The programme provides an opportunity for managers and engineers who graduated from engineering and other disciplines to obtain additional expertise in the planning, organising, staffing, training, assessing, reporting, monitoring, coordinating and controlling of information and other resources involved in the production of goods and services and satisfying customers. A study tour will be arranged for students to visit the logistics facilities and attend classes in universities of the Chinese mainland.
Recognition & Prospects
The programme is accredited by The Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport (Hong Kong) and The Hong Kong Logistics Association. It is suitable for logistics professionals working in various fields, including logistics and distribution, retail, freight forwarding, healthcare services, delivery services, consultancy services, manufacturing logistics, procurement and many other fields dealing with transportation. The programme provides students with the necessary knowledge and skills for improving the efficiency of an enterprise’s logistics activities and cultivates them to become logistics experts.
Students must complete 7 taught subjects - 4 Compulsory Subjects, at least 1 Core and at most 2 Elective Subjects plus a Dissertation (equivalent to 3 subjects, 9 credits); or 10 taught subjects - 4 Compulsory Subjects, at least 3 Core (incl. ISE550 field trip study) and at most 3 Elective Subjects.
Core Areas of Study
The following is a sample of major subjects for the various core areas of study. Students are provided with more subjects for selection upon registration.
- Global Operations & Logistics Management
- Enterprise Resources Planning
- Logistics Information Systems
- Supply Chain Management Enabling Technologies
- Warehousing & Material Handling Systems
- Contemporary Logistics Issues in China
- Risk & Crisis Management
- Workflow Design & Management
- Optimisation Modeling & Applications
- Business Intelligence and Data Mining
Information on the subjects offered can be obtained at https://www.polyu.edu.hk/ise/study/postgraduate/master-of-science-in-industrial-logistics-systems#programme-curriculum.
- A Bachelor's degree or a professional qualification, or the equivalent, is required.
If applicants are not a native speaker of English, and his/her Bachelor's degree or equivalent qualification is awarded by institutions where the medium of instruction is not English, he/she is expected to fulfil the University’s minimum English language requirement for admission purpose:
- A Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score of 80 for the Internet-based test or 550 for the paper-based test;
- An overall Band Score of at least 6 in the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
Individual cases will be considered on their own merit by the departments concerned. Applicants may be required to attend interviews or tests to further demonstrate their language proficiency.
- All compulsory subjects are assessed by coursework elements.
- Classes are scheduled on weekday evenings or weekends.
- All compulsory subjects have been included on the Continuing Education Fund (CEF) list of reimbursable courses.
No information is available at present.