Master of Science in Knowledge and Technology Management
Sept 2020 Entry
Programme code: 45100
Duration & Credit Requirement
1 year (Full-time)
2 years (Part-time)
6 for local students
12 for non-local students
HK$3,800 per credit for local students
HK$5,000 per credit for non-local students
Prof. Cheung Chi Fai
BEng, MPhil, PhD, CEng, MIEE, MHKIE, MIEEE, MASME
This programme is offered within the Postgraduate Scheme in Industrial and Systems Engineering.
Aims & Characteristics
The programme provides a unique and flexible opportunity for participants with diverse backgrounds to customise their learning in areas of technology and innovation based on their professional needs. The aims of the programme are to enable participants to:
- Develop their competence in understanding innovation cycles and ultimately turn innovations into commercial successes;
- Understand the financial and strategic implications of the development, acquisition, and implementation of knowledge and technology in an organisation;
- Enhance their technical and non-technical awareness of knowledge and technological development in their chosen field of interest.
The programme is suitable for executives, managers and engineers in a variety of sectors, including manufacturing, service, public utilities and finance, with the responsibility of acquiring, auditing, managing, transferring and financing technology.
Students have the flexibility to vary their studies from semester to semester according to their personal aspirations (except for non-local students, who are constrained by visa requirements). For example, a student can study full-time in one semester and then choose to switch to part-time study in the next semester, and vice versa. Students can manage their own pace of study, subject to certain registration and assessment regulations.
Recognition & Prospects
Knowledge and Technology Management is vital to various aspects of business – from financing, development of products and services, and manufacturing to licensing and commercialisation of technology, to maximise companies’ effectiveness and efficiency.
The programme is designed with a broad-based and multi-disciplinary curriculum to suit professionals from various disciplines (management, IT, engineering, social work, library science, legal, education, health care, etc.) who desire to improve their competency in managing their workforces and operations. It is also suitable for engineers or technical professionals hoping to move into management roles, to devise workable and innovative solutions.
The programme provides the option for students to engage in either the full-time study mode (taking 9 credits or more per semester) or the part-time study mode (taking fewer than 9 credits per semester). In general, each subject requires a 3-hour class per week over a 13-week semester. Full-time students can complete the programme in one year (including the summer semester).
Students who enrol in the MSc in Knowledge and Technology Management programme have the option to select from a wide range of subjects offered under the Postgraduate Scheme in Industrial and Systems Engineering.
The programme curriculum consists of Compulsory, Core and Elective Subjects.
Students must complete:
- 7 taught subjects, including 4 Compulsory Subjects, at least 1 Core Subject and at most 2 Elective Subjects and a Dissertation;
- 10 taught subjects, including 4 Compulsory Subjects, at least 3 Core Subjects and at most 3 Elective Subjects.
Core Areas of Study
The programme offers 4 Compulsory Subjects and 6 Core Subjects, and there is a wide range of Elective Subjects under the Postgraduate Scheme in Industrial and Systems Engineering available for selection upon registration.
- Technology Transfer and Commercialisation (ISE5001)
- Managing Knowledge (ISE542)
- Management of Innovation and Technology (ISE549)
- Managing and Measuring Intellectual Capital (ISE5601)
- Field Study of Technology Organisations (ISE5002*)
- Technology Project Management (ISE5021)
- Workflow Design and Management (ISE518)
- Global Operations and Logistics Management (ISE525)
- Technology Audit and Assessment (ISE559)
- Business Intelligence and Data Mining (ISE5606)
- Intellectual Property Management and Strategies (ISE5018)
- Financial Decision Analysis for Technology Management (ISE5022)
- Technology Entrepreneurship and Innovation in Practice (ISE5026)
- Organisation and Management (MM5112)
*Students pursuing the MSc award must take this subject if they do not opt for the dissertation.
Information on the subjects offered can be obtained at www.ise.polyu.edu.hk.
You must satisfy the following specific requirements of this programme:
- A Bachelor's degree in engineering, business or science, or a professional qualification, or the equivalent.
If you are not a native speaker of English, and your Bachelor's degree or equivalent qualification is awarded by institutions where the medium of instruction is not English, you are expected to fulfil the University’s minimum English language requirement for admission purpose. Please refer to the "Admission Requirements" section for details.
Individual cases will be considered on their own merit. Applicants may be required to attend interviews or tests to further demonstrate their language proficiency.
- The teaching approach of the programme includes lectures, seminars, workshops and field trips outside Hong Kong.
- Some Compulsory/Core Subjects are offered on Saturdays and Sundays to minimise the disturbance to students' daily work. Other subjects are normally offered on weekday evenings.
For information on academic matters, please contact:
Prof. Benny C.F. Cheung (tel: (852) 2766 7905; email: firstname.lastname@example.org).
For information on general enquiries, please contact:
Miss Michelle Wong (tel: (852) 2766 4118; email: email@example.com).
Programme website: www.ise.polyu.edu.hk
Additional Documents Required
Transcript / Certificate
English Language test results (TOEFL, IELTS or other equivalent qualifications) are required for non-local applicants who have not obtained a degree from a recognised university of which the language of instruction is English.