Important Update: (Updated 08:33 am, Friday, May 27)

Our University has announced the learning, teaching and assessment (LTA) arrangements for Semester One, 2022/23. Please click here for details.


Taught Postgraduate - Non-local Applicants



PolyU welcomes applications from non-Hong Kong residents. Many students from different parts of the globe have joined PolyU and studied in its taught postgraduate programmes.


If you are holding one of the following visas/permits, you are regarded as a "non-local student” for the purpose of admission to our programmes:

  • Student visa/entry permit;
  • Visa/entry permit under the Immigration Arrangements for Non-local Graduates (IANG); or
  • Dependant visa/entry permit who were 18 years old or above when you were issued with such visa/entry permit by the Director of Immigration.


Non-local students taking up part-time postgraduate studies at PolyU will likely be issued with a short-term multiple-entry student visa. When you only possess a visitor or tourist visa, we can neither register you as a student nor allow you to commence study until a student visa is obtained.


If you are holding a valid work permit, you do not require a student visa to take a part-time programme. Normally, you will not be considered for admission to a full-time programme.


Please click here on how to apply for a student visa.


Non-local students should ensure that you have adequate funds for tuition fees, accommodation and other expenses, including medical insurance before accepting the offer to study at PolyU. Nevertheless, students holding student visa and studying a full-time programme at degree level or above with a study period of not less than one academic year will be allowed to take up study-/curriculum-related internship, part-time on-campus employment and summer job, subject to the conditions as stipulated by the Immigration Department of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region. Please refer to the Student Handbook posted on the website of the Academic Registry ( for more details.



Non-local postgraduate students have to arrange their own accommodation in Hong Kong. Given the central location of our University, students living off campus can still travel to the campus conveniently. Details on visa applications, immigration regulations, health care, cost of living and other non-academic matters of concern to non-local students will be provided to you separately if you are offered admission to our programmes. A brief guide has been prepared by the Non-local Student Services Team (NLSST) to help you make the best use of the opportunities and facilities available during your stay at PolyU and in Hong Kong. Details can be obtained here. For self-arranged accommodation, you can contact NLSST at (852) 2766 5408 for advice.