Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Investment Science
Sept 2017 EntryProgramme code: JS3363
Duration and Credit Requirement
At least 129, depending on the student's qualifications (plus 2 training credits)
Dr Lee Heung-wing, Joseph
Deputy Programme Leader
Dr Zhao Xing-qiu
BSc, MSc, PhD
Assistant Programme Leader
Dr Chiu Lai-lin, Marjorie
MSc, PhD, CStat
- This programme does not consider second choice applications.
- The credit requirements of this programme are indicative only. They are subject to review.
Aims and Characteristics
Programme Aims & Learning Outcomes
The aim of this programme is to help students acquire strong mathematical and statistical techniques and a thorough understanding of their applications in investment and finance. We prepare graduates for various careers in the investment and financial service industries.
The programme provides students with solid training in statistical and mathematical skills, with a strong emphasis on applications in investment and finance. With a balanced curriculum in quantitative analysis, critical thinking and communication skills, the programme produces graduates who can pursue a variety of careers in the financial sector.
- Year One: Students study the University's core curriculum and compulsory Foundation Subjects in science, general studies, mathematics and statistics.
- Year Two: Students study Compulsory Subjects in mathematics, statistics and finance.
- Years Three and Four: Students study advanced subjects in investment and financial mathematics, including Elective Subjects.
In the fourth year of study, students complete a Capstone Project in which they tackle a problem or research topic in investment science/applied mathematics/statistics, consolidating discipline-specific knowledge, concepts and generic skills developed through different stages of the programme.
Recognition and Prospects
Graduates of the BSc(Hons) in Investment Science programme have excellent career prospects. The programme is designed to develop students’ mathematical and statistical skills, and enhance their understanding of the application of those skills in the world of modern investment and finance. Capabilities in quantitative analysis, critical thinking and communication enable our graduates to pursue careers in both business- and finance-related fields.
In addition to finance-related fields, our graduates also find careers in education, information technology, scientific research, marketing and consultancy.