Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) in Environmental Engineering and Sustainable Development
Sept 2017 EntryProgramme code: JS3375
Duration and Credit Requirement
127 (plus 6 practical training credits)
Prof. Lee Shun-cheng
PhD, MHKIE, A&WMA, ASHRAE, ISIAQ
- The curriculum of the programme is subject to change.
- Some subjects of the programme are offered by other Departments of the University.
- This programme does not consider second choice applications.
- The Faculty of Construction and Environment International Student Scholarships (FCE ISS) will be offered to eligible international students. Please click here for more details.
Aims and Characteristics
Programme Aims & Learning Outcomes
This programme is the first of its kind offered by Hong Kong institutions, with emphasis on environmental engineering, including transportation engineering, and sustainable development.
In addition to knowledge of environmental and transportation engineering, and management, economics, sustainable urban development and public policy are adequately covered in this programme. Graduates of this programme will be able to devise practical solutions to environmental and transportation problems as well as to contribute to policy formulation which will lead to sustainable development.
The attractive features of this programme are as follows:
- Four-year full-time comprehensive programme with a wide range of Core and Elective Subjects;
- Opportunity to study abroad for one to two semesters in subsidised exchange programmes at internationally renowned universities;
- Summer placement in Hong Kong, the Chinese mainland or overseas between the third and fourth years of the programme;
- Scholarships available for students with excellent academic performances; and
- Lessons from leading environmental and tranportation engineers and sustainable development professionals in the region.
- Core Subjects on the environment and sustainable development, including environmental science, economic development, tranportation engineering and civil engineering subjects, are taught in the third and the fourth years.
- More Elective Subjects are available in the final year, dealing with many aspects of sustainable development in modern societies.
- For subject details, please visit http://www.polyu.edu.hk/cee.
Recognition and Prospects
Full accreditation of the programme by The Hong Kong Institution of Engineers (HKIE) will be sought.
It should be noted that this programme is an evolution of the Programme of BSc (Hons) in Environment and Sustainable Development (ESD) which attained recognition of the Environmental Discipline of the HKIE in 2013 and graduates of the ESD programme are qualified for Scheme A training.
Our graduates are ready for employment as environmental and transportation engineers and sustainable development professionals in both the public and private sectors with good career prospect, such as civil servants, managers, analysts, and environmental consultants.
Please click here to view the entrance requirements for international applicants.
- Applicants with good academic results in science subjects (Physics, Mathematics, Calculus and/or Chemistry) are preferred.
Additional Documents Required
Transcript / Certificate