Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Social Work
Sept 2017 EntryProgramme code: JS3662
Duration and Credit Requirement
119 (plus 15 clinical/field credits)
Prof. Chan Yuk Chung
BSocSc(Hons), MSocSc, PhD
- This programme does not consider second choice applications.
- This programme is offered within the BA(Hons) Scheme in Applied Social Sciences.
Aims and Characteristics
Programme Aims & Learning Outcomes
This programme aims at developing in students a solid foundation and discipline-specific knowledge in social sciences and social work, a repertoire of professional competence and skills, a firm commitment to social justice, ethical and social responsibilities and a humanitarian orientation. Our graduates are competent in flexibly and creatively using information, knowledge, theories and resources.
A strong social science foundation strengthens students' analytical ability and familiarises them with the economic, social and cultural contexts of social problems and social work intervention. Theory is integrated with practice. The programme recognises the need to develop in students not just theoretical abilities and skills, but also their ability to feel, empathise and appreciate.
The Department offers placement opportunities both in the Chinese mainland and overseas.
- Year One – the theme is 'becoming a social worker', which aims to impart the necessary professional attitudes, knowledge and competence to students. Besides the University’s core curriculum, students will study the common underpinning subjects to strengthen their knowledge in social science discipline.
- Years Two and Three – the theme is 'becoming a social worker in context', which aims to equip students with a wide range of social science and discipline-specific knowledge. Students will be exposed to various social issues and problems from a multi-dimensional perspective. Students will also be able to articulate the core values of social work and commit to ethical and responsible social work practices.
- Year Four – the theme is ‘becoming a reflective social worker’, which aims to help students integrate theoretical learning, practical applications and metatheoretical reflection on direct practice. By completing a capstone project, student will be able to consolidate their undergraduate study in a project to conclude their overall learning of the programme and become a professional.
Information on the programme can be obtained at www.polyu.edu.hk/apss.
Recognition and Prospects
Graduates are eligible for registration with the Social Workers Registration Board (SWRB) as Registered Social Workers (RSWs).
With this qualification, they are eligible for being employed as Assistant Social Work Officers or the equivalent, and can be promoted to Social Work Officers, Senior Social Work Officers and Chief Social Work Officers in Hong Kong.
They are also qualified for a variety of human service posts in other fields of the social services or in private organizations.
Additional Documents Required
Applicants are required to submit a self recommendation report in English for not more than 3,000 words together with the application. Download
Transcript / Certificate