Bachelor of Business Administration (Honours) in Management
Sept 2019 EntryProgramme code: JS3583
Duration and Credit Requirement
120 (plus 3 training credits)
Dr CHAN Chi-hong Simon
BA, MPhil, PhD
Deputy Programme Leader
Dr KO Chi-chung, Stephen
- This programme is offered within the BBA(Hons) Scheme.
- The credit requirements of this programme are indicative only. They are subject to review.
- All BBA(Hons) students must complete a short work placement during their studies, either in summer or in semester time. The Department provides assistance in finding suitable placements.
Aims and Characteristics
Programme Aims & Learning Outcomes
Management skills are required by all business professionals. As an area of study, management is concerned with how to get the best out of people and other resources.
This programme provides students with a well-rounded business education and training in general management, along with an opportunity to specialise in human resource management. Students are equipped with a wide range of management skills to give them the potential to develop as business leaders in Hong Kong, the Chinese mainland and the region.
Management is a lively and interesting subject to study. Our programme emphasizes the development of both academic and professional knowledge and practical skills in general management and human resource management, including communication and presentation, leadership and teamwork, problem solving and the effective use of information technology.
The programme offers a wide range of subject choices in the fields of general, strategy and human resource management, such as Business Negotiation, Environmental Management for Business, Gender & Organizations, Management Practice Through Real World Projects, Managing Diversity in Organizations, China Business Management, Employee Relations, Employment Law, HRM in China, International HRM, Reward & Performance Management, Staffing & Selection and Training & Development. Students can choose subjects within the HRM concentration to obtain recognition by professional bodies.
There is a strong emphasis on interactive and student-centred learning methods, including case studies, role playing and simulation exercises. Visits to companies and other organizations are arranged, and practitioners are invited as guest speakers to share their practical experience with students.
All students within the Faculty of Business are encouraged to participate in the Whole Person Development Programme (WPDP), which includes a range of extracurricular activities, such as leadership training camps, peer tutoring, mentorship and overseas and Chinese mainland exchanges. Each student is assigned a professional mentor who is an experienced executive or manager in the business world and who can provide advice and support and helps students to plan their careers and prepare for their first jobs after graduation.
Subject to availability, BBA students can spend a semester studying at another university overseas or in the Chinese mainland and have the credits count towards their PolyU degree.
Work-Integrated Education (WIE)
To graduate, every student must complete 100 hours (3 training credits) of WIE. The Department has developed opportunities for students to work in firms either during the summer vacation or part-time. Summer placements can be found in Hong Kong, the Chinese mainland or overseas. These, and other forms of work experience, can count towards the WIE requirement.
This is a very flexible programme that offers a wide range of subject choices in the fields of general and strategic management, human resource management and management information systems.
Year One covers the University Core Curriculum and fundamental business subjects, such as Healthy Lifestyle, Leadership and Intra-Personal Development, Introduction to Psychology, Introduction to Business Analytics, Introduction to Economics, Introduction to Statistics for Business, Management and Organization, along with General Education and Language and Communication Requirement subjects.
From Year Two onwards, students continue their general business education, by taking such subjects as Corporate Social Responsibility and Strategic Management, and study management in greater depth, through subjects such as Organizational Behaviour, Human Resource Management and Managerial Leadership. They have the opportunity to choose Electives from a wide range of subjects in general and strategic management, human resource management and management information systems. Students also have the chance to integrate their management knowledge through a sizable Management Capstone Project.
Along with a Major in Management, students can take a Minor, either in another business discipline or in a non-business discipline.
Recognition and Prospects
- Hong Kong Institute of Human Resource Management (HKIHRM):
- Graduates of BBA (Hons) in Management are eligible to apply for Hong Kong Institute of Human Resource Management (HKIHRM)’s Associate Membership provided that they have passed, in addition to the core subjects, at least any THREE of the specialist subjects under the HRM Concentration, including Employee Relations, Employment Law, Human Resource Management in China, International HRM, Reward & Performance Management, Staffing and Selection, and Training and Development.
- Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA):
- Exemption from four papers (BA1, BA2, BA3 and E1);
- Assessment of Forecasting should be included in the subject of Operation Management.
- Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA):
- Upon completion of the BBA(Hons) in Management programme, graduates are eligible to apply for exemption from some ACCA papers.
* Recognition is subject to accreditation assessment.
Graduates qualify for a wide variety of general management and administrative positions, including as administrative assistants and management trainees, leading to careers in general management. In addition, specialist study in human resource management will prepare them for positions such as Human Resource/Personnel Officer, Training Officer, Recruitment Officer, Compensation Specialist and Human Resource Consultant.
Additional Documents Required
Transcript / Certificate