Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) in Civil Engineering
Sept 2019 EntryProgramme code: JS3739
Duration and Credit Requirement
124 (plus 12 practical training credits)
Dr Yuhong WANG
PhD; MSc; MEng and BEng
- The credit requirements of this programme are indicative only. They are subject to review.
- This programme does not consider second choice applications.
- The Faculty of Construction and Environment International Student Scholarships (FCE ISS) will be offered to eligible international students. Please click here for more details.
Aims and Characteristics
Programme Aims & Learning Outcomes
This professional programme is designed to provide students with a broad-based and high quality interdisciplinary education in the areas of structural, environmental, transportation, hydraulic and geotechnical engineering as well as construction management. It aims to nurture students as all-round civil engineers who are ready to work on engineering projects with commercial, social, legal and political complexities.
The attractive features of this programme are as follows:
- Four-year full-time comprehensive programme with a wide range of Core and Elective Subjects;
- Opportunity to study abroad for one to two semesters in subsidized exchange programmes at internationally famed universities;
- Practical training modules at the University's technologically advanced Industrial Centre;
- Summer industrial placement in Hong Kong, the Chinese mainland or overseas between the third and fourth years of the programme; and
- Scholarships available for students with excellent academic performance.
- Comprehensive civil engineering subjects are taught in the third and fourth years, covering practical knowledge of structural, hydraulics, environmental, geotechnical, construction management and transportation engineering.
- In the final year, students are required to work on the Individual Project and the Design Project. They are also allowed to choose Elective Subjects in their areas of interest.
- For subject details, please visit http://www.polyu.edu.hk/cee .
Recognition and Prospects
The 4-year BEng(Hons) Degree Programme in Civil Engineering evolved from the corresponding 3-year programme, which is accredited by the Hong Kong Institution of Engineers (HKIE). Graduates of the 3-year programme are eligible for Corporate Membership of HKIE after gaining appropriate training. The 4-year programme has been provisionally accredited by HKIE and full accreditation will follow.
Our graduates are well-prepared for employment as graduate engineers and receive rewarding salaries in both the public and private sectors, such as the Buildings Department, Civil Engineering and Development Department, Drainage Services Department, Environmental Protection Department, Highways Department, Housing Department, Transport Department and Water Supplies Department of the HKSAR, as engineering consultants and contractors.
Please click here to view the entrance requirements for international applicants.
- Applicants with good academic results in science subjects (Physics, Mathematics, Calculus and/or Chemistry) are preferred.
Additional Documents Required
Transcript / Certificate