Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Surveying
Sept 2019 EntryProgramme code: JS3789
Duration and Credit Requirement
121 (plus 2 training credits)
Dr. Patrick S.W. Fong
BSc(Hons), MSc, PhD, MRICS, MHKIS, MIVM
- The credit requirements of this programme are indicative only. They are subject to approval.
- This programme is offered within the BSc(Hons) Scheme in Building and Real Estate.
- The Faculty of Construction and Environment International Student Scholarships (FCE ISS) will be offered to eligible international students. Please click here for more details.
Aims and Characteristics
Programme Aims & Learning Outcomes
This challenging programme aims to develop all-round and flexible graduates with fundamental knowledge and practical skills in the inter-disciplinary professions of land management, real estate development and construction project management. The Programme underpins surveying studies with courses in economics and finance, law, management and technology and cultivates a global mindset with international studies in the real estate and construction markets in the Chinese mainland and overseas.
Students are well prepared to enter the professions of building surveying, general practice surveying (real estate), planning and development, property and facility management and quantity surveying (construction economics), with the full potential to take leading and strategic roles in the profession and business of land, property and construction.
This is a professional degree programme with a global and practical perspective. Students learn about economics, law, finance and investment, management and technology in the construction and real estate context. Problem identification, problem solving and decision making form the programme's focus.
There is close contact with the industry through guest lectures and company and site visits. Students undertake group and individual practical projects throughout their studies. We also have a mentorship scheme in which students are matched with employers and senior members of the professions to gain practical insights into professional practice.
We operate a study exchange programme to provide students with opportunities to study abroad for one academic semester at Loughborough University (UK), the Queensland University of Technology (Australia), the University of Florida (USA) and the Georgia Institute of Technology (USA) .
We also operate Work-Integrated Education in collaboration with the University to help students find placements.
- This is a broad interdisciplinary course that aims to provide a liberal education for students aspiring to become knowledge workers in the real estate and construction professions in particular.
- In the first year, typical students usually begin with General Education Subjects to fulfil the university and faculty requirements. They are introduced to basic knowledge and contemporary issues relating to the broad discipline of Construction and Environment.
- In the second year, students take subjects designed to develop their professional knowledge and problem-solving skills to undertake property development, and construction and project management, and to work with the dynamics of the industry. Students study Foundation Subjects in economics, finance and investment, law, management, technology and professional practice.
- More advanced subjects in the third and fourth years further prepare students to develop their professional competence in the surveying profession.
- Further Elective Subjects are offered in the fourth year to help students enter one of the surveying specialisms:Building Surveying, General Practice Surveying, Planning and Development, Property and Facility Management and Quantity Surveying.
- Information on the subjects offered can be obtained at www.bre.polyu.edu.hk.
- The programme curriculum can be obtained at http://www.bre.polyu.edu.hk/teachingnlearning/teachingnlearning-01.html.
Recognition and Prospects
The programme is professionally accredited by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors in the UK (RICS), the Hong Kong Institute of Surveyors (HKIS) and the Hong Kong Institute of Construction Managers (HKICM).
Our graduates readily find employment as professional trainees in various international surveying consultancies, property development companies, construction companies, government departments such as the Rating and Valuation Department, the Lands Department, the Housing Department, the Architectural Services Department and the Buildings Department, and other large quasi-public organizations, such as the Housing Society.
In recent years, some graduates have also been recruited into business and financial institutions. A majority of the graduating class has been offered employment before or shortly after the final examination.
Additional Documents Required
Transcript / Certificate