Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Nursing
Sept 2020 EntryProgramme code: JS3648
Duration and Credit Requirement
116 (plus 35 clinical/field credits)
Dr Mak Yim-wah
PhD (HK); MSc (Health Care) (HK); BHSc (Nursing) (Australia); RN (HK); RM (HK); Tobacco Treatment Specialist (HK, USA), FHKAN (Education & Research - Education) and FHKAN (C&PH- Community Health)
- This programme does not consider second choice applications.
- Applicants should check with the professional bodies in their own countries for licensing requirements.
Aims and Characteristics
Programme Aims & Learning Outcomes
Our mission is to educate young people for professional careers in nursing, one of the world's most caring professions. This innovative academic programme develops students' competency to deliver quality care, carry out relevant research and make significant contributions to the health of the community.
Students master the skills of clinical reasoning, communication and the use of technology. They also learn how to work efficiently, both alone and with other health care professionals, in providing quality health care.
PolyU was the first university in Hong Kong to provide a pre-registration degree programme in nursing. Our innovative approaches to learning and teaching enhance students' critical thinking and clinical decision making. Our graduates become the preferred graduates/leaders for the nursing profession and responsible global citizens.
Our modern facilities include Nursing Therapeutics Laboratories (equipped and furnished as virtual clinical wards with simulation laboratories# and other latest technologies), Mental Health Nursing Laboratories, The Yuen Yuen Institute Chinese Medicinal Nursing Laboratory, the Dorothy Wong Intensive Care Laboratory, Gerontological Nursing Laboratory, the Integrative Health Clinic, the Herbal Medicine Learning Centre, the World Health Organization Collaborating Centre for Community Health Services, and the Yuen Yuen Institute Learning Resources Centre.
Field practice is arranged in a variety of health care settings, including hospitals, old age homes, day care centres and other community centres. We also offer a wide range of overseas student exchange programmes. To obtain the properly balanced and comprehensive clinical experiences, students have opportunities to adapt to a variety of practicum locations, environments and rotating work schedules.
#Simulation laboratories are equipped with the Wireless Patient Simulators and scenario-based computer programmings such as BabySim and PediaSim to replicate nursing care in real patient conditions. Through these facilities and related approaches, students are able to identify, develop and implement patients’ care needs, as they immerse themselves in a realistic, dynamic, hands-on situation requiring critical thinking, clinical reasoning and decision-making capabilities. This approach provides opportunities for students to enhance clinical competence and confidence without the potential to harm the patients.
This is a 5-year full-time programme leading to registration with the Nursing Council of Hong Kong as a Registered Nurse (General). The programme equips students to provide holistic care that encompasses safe, ethical, legal and culturally sensitive nursing therapeutics to clients of all ages and their families in various healthcare settings.
Students develop abilities in critical inquiry, constantly acquiring new knowledge and using the evidence to support opportunities to develop generic and all-round attributes, such as critical thinking, problem solving and life-long learning. The broad-based programme, with a strong foundation in professional education and a flexible curriculum design with study options, has the following characteristics.
- A continuous focus on our philosophical underpinnings, consisting of the concepts of person, environment, health, nursing and caring along with an emphasis on clinical reasoning and person-centred care. The programme embraces introductory and applied subjects, as well as biological, social sciences and humanities subjects, to develop students’ understanding of the biological and psychosocial dimensions of the human condition and health care. Anatomy, physiology, psychology, sociology, caring concepts and clinical reasoning and decision making in action provide the foundation for students.
- The programme covers nursing therapeutics, child and adolescent health nursing, childbearing family nursing, adult nursing, mental health nursing, gerontological nursing, community health nursing, nursing therapeutics in Chinese medicine and nursing research.
- Supervised field studies allow students to integrate theory and practice.
- An Honours Project with capstone experience enables students to apply their knowledge of nursing research and appreciate evidence-based practice.
- A specific set of General University Requirement Subjects such as Leadership and Intra-personal Development, Freshmen Seminar, Healthy Lifestyle, Language and Communication, Service Learning and broadening subjects provides our students with a broad knowledge base for holistic professional learning.
- The programme runs from simple to complex, applying various teaching methods, simulated practice and problem-solving processes.
Information on the subjects offered can be obtained here.
Recognition and Prospects
Graduates are eligible for registration with the Nursing Council of Hong Kong as Registered Nurses (General).
Graduates are eligible to become Registered Nurses (General) in Hong Kong. They can find employment in numerous clinical and community settings, and develop the specialist areas of study that they choose.
The majority of graduates work in the health sector, either under the Hospital Authority or in private organizations such as private hospitals or old age homes. Some graduates undertake research work.
Other graduates pursue further studies. Many of our graduates have been accepted for post-registration clinical training and education in local and overseas institutions.
Some graduates work overseas after obtaining the proper licences from foreign countries.
Please click here to view the entrance requirements for international applicants.
- Preference will be given to those who are fluent in written English and Chinese, and in oral English and Cantonese. (For clinical placement, applicants are expected to communicate in Cantonese, including speaking and listening.)
- Students must pass a health check before clinical training.
Additional Documents Required
Transcript / Certificate