Bachelor of Business Administration (Honours) in Marketing
Sept 2020 EntryProgramme code: JS3894
Duration and Credit Requirement
120 (plus 3 training credits)
Dr TAM Lai-ming Jackie
BSc, MSc, PhD
Deputy Programme Leader
Dr CHAN Ting Yan Winslet
- This programme is offered within the BBA(Hons) Scheme.
- The credit requirements of this programme are indicative only. They are subject to review.
- All BBA(Hons) students must complete a work placement during their studies, either in the summer or during semester time. The Department provides assistance in finding suitable placements.
Aims and Characteristics
Programme Aims & Learning Outcomes
This programme provides students with:
- A well-rounded business education;
- Competence in the analysis, planning, implementation and control of marketing decisions;
- Analytical ability and research competence;
- The ability to communicate, interact and intervene in the integrative role that is ascribed to marketing;
- Appreciation of the responsibilities of marketing professionals within broader environmental and international contexts; and
- Literacy in the use of information systems and technology that are relevant to marketing.
The programme focuses on the development of practical skills and academic and professional knowledge. It places a strong emphasis on interactive and student-centred learning methods, including case studies, role playing and simulation exercises. It offers a wide range of subject choices, including Consumer Behaviour, Integrated Marketing Communications, Marketing Research, Services Marketing, Internet Marketing and Marketing Management in China.
All students within the Faculty of Business are encouraged to participate in the Whole Person Development Programme, which includes a wide range of extracurricular activities such as leadership training camps, peer tutoring mentorships and overseas and Chinese mainland exchanges.
Students can be attached to mentors, experienced executives or managers in the business world who can provide advice and support and help students to plan their careers and prepare for their first jobs after graduation.
Subject to availability, BBA students can spend a semester studying at another university overseas or in the Chinese mainland and have the credits count towards their PolyU degree.
Marketing students are well equipped with both theoretical and practical experience upon graduation. Our students and graduates have a remarkable track record of obtaining awards in open competitions.
Work-Integrated Education (WIE)
To graduate, every student must complete 100 hours (3 training credits) of WIE. The Department has developed opportunities for students to work in firms either during the summer vacation or as part-timers. Summer placements can be found in Hong Kong, the Chinese mainland or overseas. These, and other forms of work experience, can count towards the WIE requirements.
This is a very flexible programme that offers opportunities to study various marketing areas.
Year One covers the university Core Curriculum and fundamental business subjects such as Healthy Lifestyle, Leadership and Intra-Personal Development, Introduction to Psychology, Introduction to Business Analytics, Introduction to Economics, Introduction to Statistics for Business, Introduction to Marketing, along with Language and Communication Requirement subjects.
From Year Two onwards, students continue their general business education with subjects such as Management and Organization and Corporate Social Responsibility, and study marketing in greater depth through subjects such as Consumer Behaviour, Marketing Research, Global Marketing, Business to Business Marketing, Marketing Strategy and Product Management. They can structure their own study paths through a selection of Electives including Social Media Marketing, Further Marketing Research, Marketing Channel Management, Internet Marketing, Sales and Distribution Management and Strategic Brand Management. Students also have the opportunity to integrate their marketing knowledge through a Marketing Capstone Project.
Along with a Major in Marketing, students can take a Minor, either in another business discipline or in a non-business discipline.
Recognition and Prospects
This programme is recognized by the following professional bodies:
- The Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM)
- BBA(Hons) in Marketing students are eligible to apply for CIM Affiliate Studying Members and gain access to a wide range of membership benefits and online resources.
- Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA)
- Exemption from 4 papers (BA1, BA2, BA3 and E1)
- Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA)
- On completion of the BBA(Hons) in Marketing programme, graduates are eligible to apply for exemption from some ACCA papers.
* Recognition is subject to accreditation assessment.
Marketing graduates qualify for a wide variety of employment opportunities, including in account management, advertising, marketing research, marketing/product/brand management, customer service, public relations, consumer affairs and protection.
Additional Documents Required
Transcript / Certificate