Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Chemical Technology
Sept 2020 EntryProgramme code: JS3997
Duration and Credit Requirement
Dr Mok Kam-wah, Daniel
- This programme does not consider second choice applications.
- The credit requirements of this programme are indicative only and subject to review.
Aims and Characteristics
Programme Aims & Learning Outcomes
Being the most established applied chemistry programme in Hong Kong, our BSc(Hons) in Chemical Technology programme offers a broad and rigorous education in contemporary chemistry and training in laboratory practices. The programme emphasizes the application of chemistry in technological innovation. Through the programme, students develop competence in problem solving and communication. These abilities are essential for graduates to pursue professional careers in business and technical services in chemical and related industries.
Focusing on the technological application of chemistry, this programme comprises Core and Elective Subjects in chemical principles, applied/industrial chemistry, and chemical process technology.
This is one of the most popular applied science programmes in Hong Kong, and it is specifically designed to enhance graduates' career prospects in the government, business and industrial sectors.
Elective Subjects include Medicinal Chemistry, Natural Products Chemistry, Food Processing Technology, Environmental Science, Principles of Quality Assurance and Economic Analysis for Process Technology. These subjects broaden and enrich students' knowledge and skills, which should enhance their career prospects in the commercial and industrial sectors. Our students would gain further work experience through industrial visits, Work-Integrated Education and summer placements in local and overseas companies.
- Year One studies include the University's core curriculum and underpinning subjects common to science students and general chemistry with laboratory skills training.
- Year Two studies cover the general analytical, organic and physical chemistry, plus the basics of chemical process technology.
- Year Three studies introduce the intermediate level of organic, inorganic, physical and analytical chemistry, and chemical process technology.
- In the Final Year, an investigative project allows students to learn, experiment and practise chemistry on a topic of their choices.
- Information on the subjects offered can be obtained at www.polyu.edu.hk/~abct.
Recognition and Prospects
Graduates qualify for membership of the Hong Kong Chemical Society (HKCS) and the Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC) in the UK.
Graduates are able to pursue careers in industry, business or the public sector. Our graduates work as chemists, technologists, and chemical and/or biochemical process engineers. Employment opportunities abound in industries, such as plastics and toys, cosmetics and fragrances, drugs and pharmaceuticals, pollution control and the manufacture of printed circuit boards. Graduates can also pursue openings in sales and marketing, or as management executives in various fields.
Graduates are qualified as chemical analysts or environmental protection officers for the government or public utilities. Teaching chemistry in secondary schools is another possibility. Graduates who wish to pursue further studies have excellent opportunities both in Hong Kong and overseas.
Additional Documents Required
Transcript / Certificate