Definition of Non-local Applicants


If you require a student visa to study in Hong Kong or are staying in Hong Kong under the "Immigration Arrangements for Non-local Graduates", you will be regarded as a non-local applicant. Non-local applicants who possess only visitor or tourist visas can neither be registered as students nor commence their studies until they have obtained student visas.


If you hold a dependent visa or have the "right of abode" or "right to land" in Hong Kong, you do not require a student visa to study in Hong Kong and will be regarded as a local student. You should follow the application/admissions arrangements for local students under Non-JUPAS Admissions Scheme.


Local and non-local applicants are considered under different admissions schemes. You may be asked to provide a copy of your passport to support your claim of nationality during the admissions process. If any of your application data, including your nationality, is found to be incorrect or misleading, any offer may be cancelled and the fees paid will not be refunded. If you have any doubt about your visa status, please ask us via email at


The levels of tuition fees for local and non-local students are also different for most programmes. If your status changes from non-local to local or vice versa after you submit your application, any offers made under the initial admissions scheme may be cancelled and your application will be considered in competition with other eligible applicants under the subsequent admissions scheme.