Higher Diploma in Building Services Engineering
Sept 2019 EntryProgramme code: JS3026
Duration and Credit Requirement
69 (plus 3 training credits)
Dr Cheung Hiu Dan, Hilda
BEng (Hons), PhD, MHKGBC, BEAM Pro
The credit requirements of this programme are indicative only. They are subject to approval.
Aims and Characteristics
Programme Aims & Learning Outcomes
The programme is aimed to equip students with the skills needed to develop careers in building services engineering. Students gain a sound knowledge of the design, installation and operation of building services systems and learn how they are integrated within the building structure, how they are coordinated during installation and how they operate effectively.
Students also learn to carry out design calculations, undertake appropriate testing and commissioning, and properly maintain and operate systems.
We develop students' basic supervisory and management skills to allow them to work as subordinates to professional engineers or as supervisors of technicians, craftsmen and unskilled workers.
Established in 1981, this well-respected two-year full-time government-funded programme is the oldest building services engineering sub-degree programme in Hong Kong. The programme has won recognition for the quality of its teaching. It is also the most respected advancement pathway to a building services engineering degree in Hong Kong or the UK.
The programme provides students with the following learning outcomes:
(A) Professional/academic knowledge and skills:
- An awareness of health and safety issues related to building services engineering;
- An ability to carry out basic design, installation, commissioning and maintenance of building services systems, including HVAC&R, electrical installations, fire services, plumbing and drainage systems;
- An ability to consider global, local and environment/energy efficiency issues related to building services systems;
- An ability to communicate with engineering drawings and use computer-aided design (CAD) software for building services engineering blueprint production; and
- An understanding of the contractual procedures and responsibilities within the construction industry.
(B) Attributes for all-roundedness:
- An understanding of professional and ethical responsibility;
- An ability to work independently and in a team with accountability;
- An ability to communicate effectively in English, Chinese and be IT literate; and
- Life-long learning skills, and an ability to tackle and evaluate problems and seek solutions.
Students acquire the skills that are necessary for a wide variety of positions. The programme also encourages their personal career development and their potential to pursue further studies.
Recognition and Prospects
The Hong Kong Institution of Engineers (HKIE) has granted interim recognition to the BSE Higher Diploma programme. The Higher Diploma is an acceptable academic qualification for Associate Membership of the HKIE. Academic programmes accredited by the HKIE for the Building Services Discipline are recognised by the UK's Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers (CIBSE) under reciprocal recognition.
Graduates can work as assistant engineers or engineering technicians under the supervision of registered professional engineers in consulting or contracting firms, or in government departments. They may also work as engineering technicians with developers or maintenance contractors in the maintenance and operation of building services systems. Working as sales engineers for building services equipment and systems suppliers is also an option.
Graduates are eligible to apply for government-funded BEng(Hons) degree programme.
- Year One studies cover electrical, thermal, plumbing and drainage systems, and environmental aspects, in addition to supplementary studies in areas such as mathematics, English, drafting skills, laboratory work and general education. Practical training in the Industrial Centre is conducted during the summer term.
- In Year Two, additional technical and management subjects are covered. Students also gain hands-on experience of the operation, maintenance and testing of building services systems. They are also engaged in a Group Design Project that integrates all of the technical knowledge that they have gained.
- Information on the subjects offered can be obtained at www.bse.polyu.edu.hk.
Entrance Requirements and Subject Weightings
Satisfy the University's General Entrance Requirements.
There is no compulsory subject requirement. Preferred subject(s) with the highest weighting for admission score calculation include(s):
- Mathematics (Extended part - Calculus and Statistics)
- Mathematics (Extended part - Algebra and Calculus)
- Combined Science: Biology + Physics
- Combined Science: Physics + Chemistry
Relevant Applied Learning subject(s) that can be considered for meeting the University entrance requirement and admission score calculation is/are:
- Building Facilities Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
Admission Score Calculation
Chinese & English Languages + Any Best 3 Subjects
(Click here for an explanation)
2016-17: 18.5 (Chinese & English Languages + Any Best 3 Subjects)
2017-18: 18.4 (Chinese & English Languages + Any Best 3 Subjects)
2018-19: 18.0 (Chinese & English Languages + Any Best 3 Subjects)
(Click here for an explanation)
Additional Documents Required
No information is available at present.