Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) in Civil Engineering
Sept 2019 EntryProgramme code: JS3739
Duration and Credit Requirement
124 (plus 12 practical training credits)
Dr Yuhong WANG
PhD; MSc; MEng and BEng
The credit requirements of this programme are indicative only. They are subject to review.
Aims and Characteristics
Programme Aims & Learning Outcomes
This professional programme is designed to provide students with a broad-based and high quality interdisciplinary education in areas of structural, environmental, transportation, hydraulic and geotechnical engineering as well as construction management. It aims to nurture students as all-round civil engineers who are ready to work on engineering projects with commercial, social, legal and political complexities.
The attractive features of this programme are as follows:
- Four-year full-time comprehensive programme with a wide range of Core and Elective Subjects;
- Opportunities to study abroad for one to two semesters in subsidised exchange programmes at internationally famed universities;
- Practical training modules at the University's technologically advanced Industrial Centre;
- Summer industrial placement in Hong Kong, the Chinese mainland or overseas between the third and the fourth years of the programme; and
- Scholarships available for students with excellent academic performance.
Recognition and Prospects
The 4-year BEng(Hons) Degree Programme in Civil Engineering is evolved from the corresponding 3-year programme which is accredited by The Hong Kong Institution of Engineers (HKIE). Graduates of the 3-year programme are eligible for Corporate Membership of HKIE after gaining appropriate training. The 4-year programme has been provisionally accredited by HKIE and full accreditation will follow.
Our graduates are well-prepared for employment as graduate engineers and receiving rewarding salaries in both the public and private sectors, such as the Buildings Department, Civil Engineering and Development Department, Drainage Services Department, Environmental Protection Department, Highways Department, Housing Department, Transport Department, Water Supplies Department of the HKSAR, engineering consultants and contractors.
- Comprehensive civil engineering subjects are taught in the third and the fourth years, covering practical knowledge of structural, hydraulics, environmental, geotechnical, construction management and transportation engineering.
- In the final year, students are required to work on the Individual Project and the Design Project. Students are also allowed to choose elective subjects which are of their interest.
- For subject details, please visit www.polyu.edu.hk/cee/.
Entrance Requirements and Subject Weightings
Satisfy the University's General Entrance Requirements.
There is no compulsory subject requirement. Preferred subject(s) with the highest weighting for admission score calculation include(s):
- English Language
- Mathematics (Extended part - Calculus and Statistics)
- Mathematics (Extended part - Algebra and Calculus)
- Combined Science: Biology + Physics
- Combined Science: Physics + Chemistry
Relevant Applied Learning subject(s) that can be considered for meeting the University entrance requirement and admission score calculation is/are:
- Building Facilities Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
Admission Score Calculation
Any Best 5 Subjects
(Click here for an explanation)
2016-17: 25.1 (Any Best 5 Subjects)
2017-18: 24.3 (Any Best 5 Subjects)
2018-19: 23.6 (Any Best 5 Subjects)
(Click here for an explanation)
Additional Documents Required
No information is available at present.