Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Building Engineering and Management
Sept 2019 EntryProgramme code: JS3791
Duration and Credit Requirement
121 (plus 2 training credits)
Dr Hongqin Fan
BEng, MSc, PhD, MHKICM, MCIOB
- The credit requirements of this programme are indicative only. They are subject to approval.
- This programme is offered within the BSc(Hons) Scheme in Building and Real Estate.
- Two Ng Wing Hong Entry Scholarships are available for applicants to this programme with outstanding performance on the HKDSE. Each Scholarship awardee will receive HK$10,000.
Aims and Characteristics
Programme Aims & Learning Outcomes
This programme provides an excellent opportunity for students who would like to pursue an education in the building engineering and construction management profession. The advancing building construction industry in Hong Kong and neighbouring regions requires graduates who possess highly specialised skills in technology, management and communication. Students also face intellectual challenges that promote self-development and enhance problem-solving skills. Our well-trained graduates are in great demand as professional building engineers and construction managers because they can easily adapt to the changing needs of the construction industry and have developed the expertise that is necessary to plan, coordinate, supervise and control the complex process of building projects.
Students are required to take 121 credits and 2 training credits in this four-year programme. The subjects include Building Engineering and Technology, Management, Project Work and English.
Site visits and guest lectures are arranged throughout the year.
Practical training (Work-Integrated Education) is required during the summer term.
We have a mentorship scheme in which students are matched with local employers to gain insights into professional practice.
Our Student Exchange Programme with Loughborough University (UK), the Queensland University of Technology (Australia), Georgia Institute of Technology (USA), the University of Florida (USA) and others, provides opportunities to study abroad.
Students can also choose this programme as their Major with effect from Semester One in Year Two after admission to the Broad Discipline of Construction and Environment (JS3208), offered by the Faculty of Construction and Environment.
Recognition and Prospects
Professional accreditation has been granted from the following institutions:
- The Hong Kong Institute of Engineers (HKIE) (provisional accreditation by HKIE);
- The Chartered Institute of Building in the UK (CIOB); and
- The Hong Kong Institute of Construction Managers (HKICM).
Following appropriate training in industry, graduates will become building engineers and/or construction managers. The continuing growth of Hong Kong's building and infrastructure development offers opportunities for challenging and rewarding careers. Our graduates usually take up positions with construction companies or real estate development companies.
- The programme covers building engineering, construction management, economics, law and project works.
- Students can choose Elective Subjects from a pool of designated subjects to suit their own career development and personal interests.
- Support studies include mathematics and quantitative analysis and General Education Subjects.
- Information on the subjects offered can be obtained at www.bre.polyu.edu.hk.
- The programme curriculum can be obtained at www.bre.polyu.edu.hk/teachingnlearning/teachingnlearning-01.html.
Entrance Requirements and Subject Weightings
Satisfy the University's General Entrance Requirements.
There is no compulsory subject requirement. Preferred subject(s) with the highest weighting for admission score calculation include(s):
- English Language
- Mathematics (Extended part - Calculus and Statistics)
- Mathematics (Extended part - Algebra and Calculus)
- Combined Science: Biology + Physics
- Combined Science: Physics + Chemistry
Relevant Applied Learning subject(s) that can be considered for meeting the University entrance requirement and admission score calculation is/are:
- Building Technology
Admission Score Calculation
Any Best 5 Subjects
(Click here for an explanation)
2016-17: 22.4 (Any Best 5 Subjects)
2017-18: 21.3 (Any Best 5 Subjects)
2018-19: 20.6 (Any Best 5 Subjects)
(Click here for an explanation)
Additional Documents Required
No information is available at present.