Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Applied Biology with Biotechnology
Sept 2019 EntryProgramme code: JS3923
Duration and Credit Requirement
At least 120 credits (depending on the student's academic attainment)
Prof. Zhao Yanxiang
- As the 2019/20 Academic Year is the start of the 2019-2022 triennium for which UGC-funded programmes are still subject to the Legislative Council's approval, the number of student intake places shown in this web page is indicative only and subject to change or confirmation at a later date.
- The credit requirements of this programme are indicative only and subject to review.
- To recognise the outstanding academic performance of HKDSE students, the Department will grant entry scholarship to eligible HKDSE students admitted to the programmes via JUPAS. The award criteria of the scholarship are listed in the information sheet, which is subject to change and will be announced on the same website in due course.
Aims and Characteristics
Programme Aims & Learning Outcomes
In this programme, students gain a thorough understanding of the principles, concepts and applications of biotechnology. Attention is paid to the relevance of biotechnology to our daily lives and to the needs of Hong Kong and the world.
Through learning the principles of modern biotechnology, students develop analytical, creative and problem-solving abilities. Graduates from the programme are well prepared for careers in the rapidly expanding bioscience/biotechnology industries in Hong Kong, the region and around the world. They can also pursue further studies in postgraduate programmes locally or overseas.
This programme integrates theory and practice, and culminates in an individual in-depth scientific investigation in the final year.
Students develop both local and global perspectives and have the opportunity to practise in relevant industries, research centres and commercial organisations.
Recognition and Prospects
Graduates are qualified for membership of the Royal Society of Biology (RSB) in the UK.
Graduates are recognised by universities and research institutes worldwide for postgraduate studies.
Graduates from this programme are qualified to work in the rapidly expanding biotechnology industries in Hong Kong, the region and around the world. They pursue careers in the industrial, commercial, education and public sectors in technical, executive or managerial positions. Graduates can also pursue further studies in postgraduate programmes locally or overseas.
As in all undergraduate programmes at PolyU, students complete 30 credits of General University Requirements in which their language competency, personal development and broad global perspective will be developed.
Students complete the Discipline Specific Requirements in mathematics, physics, chemistry and biology to build a sound foundation for their studies.
Upon completion of the foundation subjects, students are required to complete core biological, biochemical and biotechnological subjects before proceeding to select their Elective Subjects in biotechnology.
In the final stage, students complete a Final Year Project in which they tackle a scientific problem or research topic, utilising the discipline specific knowledge, concepts and generic skills developed through the different stages of this programme.
To cater for the multidisciplinary nature of the current developing trend in biotechnology, students have room in this programme to select Free Elective Subjects in other areas of interest, such as in information technology, business, marketing, engineering, etc.
Entrance Requirements and Subject Weightings
Satisfy the University's General Entrance Requirements.
There is no compulsory subject requirement. Preferred subject(s) with the highest weighting for admission score calculation include(s):
- Chinese Language
- English Language
- Mathematics (Extended part - Calculus and Statistics)
- Mathematics (Extended part - Algebra and Calculus)
- Combined Science: Biology + Chemistry
- Combined Science: Biology + Physics
- Combined Science: Physics + Chemistry
Relevant Applied Learning subject(s) that can be considered for meeting the University entrance requirement and admission score calculation is/are:
- Child Development and Care
- Exercise Science and Health Fitness
- Foundation in Chinese Medicine
- Fundamental Health Care
- Health and Beauty Keeping in TCM
- Health Care Practice
- Medical Laboratory Science
- Sports Coaching and Management
Admission Score Calculation
Any Best 5 Subjects
(Click here for an explanation)
2016-17: 22.7 (Any Best 5 Subjects)
2017-18: 21.8 (Any Best 5 Subjects)
2018-19: 21.3 (Any Best 5 Subjects)
(Click here for an explanation)
Additional Documents Required
No information is available at present.