Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) in Environmental Engineering and Sustainable Development
Sept 2020 EntryProgramme code: JS3375
Duration and Credit Requirement
124 (plus 6 practical training credits)
Dr Shao-Yuan Leu
PhD, M.S., B.S.
- The credit requirements of this programme are indicative only. They are subject to review.
- To recognise the outstanding academic performance of HKDSE students, the Department will grant entry scholarship to eligible HKDSE students admitted to the programmes via JUPAS. The award criteria of the scholarship are listed in the information sheet, which is subject to change and will be announced on the same website in due course.
Aims and Characteristics
Programme Aims & Learning Outcomes
This programme is the first of its kind offered by Hong Kong institutions, with emphasis on both environmental engineering, including transportation engineering, and sustainable development.
In addition to knowledge of environmental and transportation engineering, and management, economics, sustainable urban development and public policy are adequately covered in this programme. Graduates of this programme will be able to devise practical solutions to environmental and transportation problems as well as to contribute to policy formulation which will lead to sustainable development.
The attractive features of this programme are as follows:
- Four-year full-time comprehensive programme with a wide range of core and elective subjects;
- Opportunity to study abroad for one to two semesters in subsidised exchange programmes at internationally famed universities;
- Summer placement in Hong Kong, the Chinese mainland or overseas between the third and the fourth years of the programme;
- Scholarships available for students with excellent academic performances; and
- Lessons from leading environmental and transportation engineers and sustainable development professionals in the region.
Recognition and Prospects
Full accreditation has been granted for the 4-year BEng (Hons) Degree Programme in Environmental Engineering and Sustainable Development by The Hong Kong Institution of Engineers (HKIE). Graduates of this programme will be qualified for Scheme A training of the Environmental Discipline and Logistics & Transportation Discipline of HKIE. Graduates of this programme are expected to be qualified for Corporate Membership of HKIE.
Our graduates are ready for employment as environmental and transportation engineers and sustainable development professionals in both public and private sectors with good career prospect, such as civil servants, managers, analysts, and environmental consultants.
- Core Subjects on the environment and sustainable development are taught in the third and the fourth years, including environmental science, economic development, transportation engineering and civil engineering subjects.
- In the final year, students are required to work on an Individual Project and a Design Project. More Elective Subjects are available in the final year, dealing with many aspects of sustainable development in modern societies.
- For subject details, please visit www.polyu.edu.hk/cee/.
Entrance Requirements and Subject Weightings
Satisfy the University's General Entrance Requirements.
There is no compulsory subject requirement. Preferred subject(s) with the highest weighting for admission score calculation include(s):
- English Language
- Mathematics (Extended part - Calculus and Statistics)
- Mathematics (Extended part - Algebra and Calculus)
- Combined Science: Biology + Chemistry
- Combined Science: Biology + Physics
- Combined Science: Physics + Chemistry
Relevant Applied Learning subject(s) that can be considered for meeting the University entrance requirement and admission score calculation is/are:
- Environmental Engineering
Admission Score Calculation
Any Best 5 Subjects
(Click here for an explanation)
2017-18: 20.3 (Any Best 5 Subjects)
2018-19: 20.5 (Any Best 5 Subjects)
2019-20: 20.7 (Any Best 5 Subjects)
(Click here for an explanation)
Additional Documents Required
No information is available at present.