Higher Diploma in Electrical Engineering
Sept 2021 EntryProgramme code: JS3064
Duration and Credit Requirement
63 (plus training credits)
Students may be required to take an extra subject in Physics depending on their entry qualifications.
Dr W.L. Chan
BSc(Eng), MPhil, PhD, MHKIE, SrMIEEE
The credit requirements of this programme are indicative only. They are subject to review.
Aims and Characteristics
Programme Aims & Learning Outcomes
The programme aims to provide students with a sound education in electrical engineering. The programme is designed to produce engineering technologists/technicians who can practise electrical engineering with competence in Hong Kong, the Chinese mainland and the neighbouring regions. The programme emphasises foundational knowledge and its applications, practical skills, problem-solving ability and team spirit.
This programme paves the way for graduates to further study for a professional qualification. It aims to provide a route of articulation to degree programmes. Graduates can obtain up to two years of exemption from study of a four-year Honours degree programme in a similar discipline.
Recognition and Prospects
Electrical engineers are required in many large industries, with demand far exceeding supply. They often work in the following areas:
- Electric power generation
- Intelligent buildings
- Electric mass transportation
- Electric and hybrid vehicles
- Control and automation
- Electric apparatus development
- Environmental control
- Renewable energy
- Product manufacturing
- Building services
- Energy auditing
- Highway lighting and control
- Utility companies (e.g. airports, gas, water, telecommunications)
Graduates can readily access relevant challenging and rewarding careers. They are particularly welcomed by employers because of their outstanding theoretical backgrounds and application-oriented experiences.
- Students study all essential elements of electrical engineering, supported by physics, mathematics, electronics, computing, mechanical engineering, Chinese and English.
- Year One covers a diverse range of Foundation Subjects, such as Physics, Mathematics, Languages, Computing and Electronics. Year One teaching extends to the summer.
- Year Two covers essential technical subjects in electrical engineering. Students also undertake a Group Project during this year.
- More information on the subjects and progression pattern can be found at www.ee.polyu.edu.hk.
Entrance Requirements and Subject Weightings
Satisfy the University's General Entrance Requirements.
There is no compulsory subject requirement. Preferred subject(s) with the highest weighting for admission score calculation include(s):
- English Language
- Mathematics (Extended part - Calculus and Statistics)
- Mathematics (Extended part - Algebra and Calculus)
- Combined Science: Biology + Chemistry
- Combined Science: Biology + Physics
- Combined Science: Physics + Chemistry
- Information and Communication Technology
Admission Score Calculation
Chinese & English Languages + Any Best 3 Subjects
(Click here for an explanation)
2020-21: 16.9 (Chinese & English Languages + Any Best 3 Subjects)
(Click here for an explanation)
Additional Documents Required
No information is available at present.