Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) in Civil Engineering
Sept 2019 EntryProgramme code: 31469-SY
Duration and Credit Requirement
Normally 67 (plus 4 practical training credits)
A student's actual study pattern will depend on the subjects taken in previous Higher Diploma or Associate Degree study as well as successful credit transfers according to the relevant criteria.
Ir. Chung Lim KWAN
BEng, MPhil, PgDipEdu, CEng, MHKIE, MICE
- The credit requirements of this programme are indicative only. They are subject to review.
- The exact duration of study and the number of credits to be transferred will depend on the academic background and entry qualifications of individual AD/HD admittees.
Aims and Characteristics
This professional programme is designed to provide students with a broad-based and high quality interdisciplinary education in areas of structural, environmental, transportation, hydraulic and geotechnical engineering as well as construction management. It aims to nurture students as all-round civil engineers who are ready to work on engineering projects with commercial, social, legal and political complexities.
The attractive features of this programme are as follows.
- Two-year full-time comprehensive programme with a wide range of core and elective subjects.
- Summer industry placement in Hong Kong, the Chinese mainland or overseas between the first and second years of the programme.
- Scholarships for students with excellent academic performance.
- Comprehensive civil engineering subjects cover practical knowledge of structural, hydraulic, environmental, geotechnical, construction management and transportation engineering.
- In the final year, students are required to work on the Individual Project and the Design Project. Students are also allowed to choose elective subjects which are of their interest.
- For subject details, please visit www.polyu.edu.hk/cee/.
Recognition and Prospects
The 4-year BEng(Hons) Degree Programme in Civil Engineering is evolved from the corresponding 3-year programme which is accredited by The Hong Kong Institution of Engineers (HKIE). Graduates of the 3-year programme are eligible for Corporate Membership of HKIE after gaining appropriate training. The 4-year programme has been provisionally accredited by HKIE and full accreditation will follow.
Our graduates are well-prepared for employment as professional trainees and receiving rewarding salaries in both the public and private sectors, such as the Buildings Department, Civil Engineering and Development Department, Drainage Services Department, Environmental Protection Department, Highways Department, Housing Department, Transport Department, Water Supplies Department of the HKSAR, engineering consultants and contractors.
- A Higher Diploma or an Associate Degree in civil engineering or structural engineering, or a relevant discipline.
- Applicants will be shortlisted based on their academic merit. Interviews may be arranged, if necessary.
Additional Documents Required
Transcript / Certificate