Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) in Environmental Engineering and Sustainable Development
Sept 2019 EntryProgramme code: 31474-SY
Duration and Credit Requirement
Normally 70 (plus 4 practical training credits)
A student's actual study pattern will depend on the subjects taken in previous Higher Diploma or Associate Degree study and successful credit transfers according to the relevant criteria.
Prof. Lee Shun-cheng
PhD, MHKIE, A&WMA, ASHRAE, ISIAQ
- The credit requirements of this programme are indicative only. They are subject to review.
- The exact duration of study and the number of credits to be transferred will depend on the academic background and entry qualifications of individual AD/HD admittees.
Aims and Characteristics
Programme Aims & Learning Outcomes
This programme is the first of its kind offered by Hong Kong institutions, with emphasis on both environmental engineering, including transportation engineering, and sustainable development.
In addition to knowledge of environmental and transportation engineering, and management, economics, sustainable urban development and public policy are adequately covered in this programme. Graduates of this programme will be able to devise practical solutions to environmental and transportation problems as well as to contribute to policy formulation which will lead to sustainable development.
The attractive features of this programme are as follows:
- Two-year full-time comprehensive programme with a wide range of core and elective subjects;
- Summer placement in Hong Kong, the Chinese mainland or overseas between the first and second years of the programme;
- Scholarships for students with excellent academic performances; and
- Lessons from leading environmental and sustainable development researchers in the region with the opportunity of further study for postgraduate qualifications after graduation.
Students are admitted to senior year of the programme and must complete all of the following subjects to fulfil the credit requirement for graduation.
Core Subjects (52 credits)
Water and Waste Management, Air and Noise Pollution Control, Water and Wastewater Treatment Techniques for ESD, Solid and Hazardous Wastes Control, Environmental Impact Assessment - Theory and Practice, Design Project for Environmental Engineers, Environmental Management Systems, Transportation Engineering, etc.
Electives (3 credits)
Fundamentals of Risk Assessment and Management, Renewable Energy, Design of Transport Infrastructure, etc.
Individual Project (6 credits)
General University Requirement (9 credits)
• Cluster Area Requirement (6 credits)
• Service Learning Subject (3 credits)
Work-Integrated Education (4 practical training credits)
Students are required to complete at least 4 weeks of summer industrial placement in Hong Kong or offshore to fulfil the Work-Integrated Education requirement.
For subject details, please visit www.polyu.edu.hk/cee/.
Recognition and Prospects
Full accreditation of the programme by The Hong Kong Institution of Engineers (HKIE) will be sought. Graduates of this programme will then be qualified for Scheme A training of the Environmental Discipline and Logistics & Transportation Discipline of the HKIE.
It should be noted that this programme is an evolution of the BSc (Hons) in Environment and Sustainable Development (ESD) programme which attained recognition of the Environmental Discipline of HKIE in 2013 and graduates of the ESD programme are qualified for Scheme A training.
Our graduates are ready for employment as environmental and transportation engineers and sustainable development professionals in both the public and private sectors with good career prospect, such as civil servants, managers, analysts, and environmental consultants.
- A Higher Diploma or an Associate Degree in applied science or engineering, or a relevant discipline.
- Applicants will be shortlisted based on their academic merit. Interviews may be arranged, if necessary.
Additional Documents Required
Transcript / Certificate