Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) in Building Services Engineering
Sept 2019 EntryProgramme code: 33477-SY
Duration and Credit Requirement
65 (plus 2 training credits)
Dr Mui Kwok Wai, Horace
BEng(Hons), PhD, MCIBSE, MHKIE, MASHRAE, CEng, RPE(BSS)
- As the 2019/20 Academic Year is the start of the 2019-2022 triennium for which UGC-funded programmes are still subject to the Legislative Council's approval, the number of student intake places shown in this web page is indicative only and subject to change or confirmation at a later date.
- The curriculum of this programme, including the credit requirements, is subject to review.
- The exact study duration and number of credits to be transferred will depend on the entry qualification of individual AD/HD admittees.
Students with entry qualification other than HD/AD in BSE are required to study up to three foundation subjects – Architectural Science, HVAC Fundamentals, and Electrical Engineering, depending on the entry qualification.
Aims and Characteristics
We produce graduates who are technically and academically competent to work in building services engineering.
This programme meets the demand for locally trained professional and innovative building services engineers in consultancy, contracting, building management and research and development.
Our graduates also have a broad range of personal skills such as the ability to communicate effectively and think critically, and the capability to be independent learners.
Students learn the art and science of providing safe, healthy and energy-efficient built environments that have minimal adverse environmental impacts. They also face intellectual challenges that further their development towards taking up management roles in the profession.
Students have the opportunity to work in teams, lead small projects, work independently and interact with highly qualified and professional staff. They also have access to a variety of design software and laboratory facilities.
Local and offshore summer placement opportunities are offered.
Students can also join the Student Exchange Programme to study at a university in the United States, continental Europe, Australia, Southeast Asia or the Chinese mainland for a semester.
Our students are regularly awarded scholarships from professional bodies and major organisations in Hong Kong.
- Students are admitted to the Senior Year of the 4-year degree programme.
- Year One applies foundation knowledge, including the fundamentals of indoor built environments, architecture and buildings, thermal and electrical fundamentals, and mathematics, to the design and operation of major building services engineering systems.
- In the Final Year, students undertake a major project.
- General University Requirements*: Language and Communication Requirements^, Cluster-Area Requirements (6 credits; minimum 3 credits should be in a subject designated as "China-related") and a Free Elective in lieu of Service Learning Requirement (3 credits).
- Information on the subjects offered can be obtained here.
* Subject to review.
^ Students are considered for credit transfers based on their previous academic performance in AD/HD programmes. Students not meeting the equivalent standard of the undergraduate degree Languange Communication Requirements (LCR) will be required to take degree LCR subjects.
Recognition and Prospects
The Hong Kong Institution of Engineers (HKIE) has granted the provisional accreditation to this degree programme. Academic programmes accredited by the HKIE for the Building Services Discipline are recognised by the UK's Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers (CIBSE) under reciprocal recognition.
BEng(Hons) graduates have good career prospects in the building construction and real estate sectors.
New building construction and a concentration of sophisticated buildings in Hong Kong provide numerous and attractive employment opportunities. Because the programme is widely recognised, these opportunities also extend to the Chinese mainland and overseas.
Our graduates commonly begin their careers as trainee engineers in government departments, consulting firms, contracting companies, property management companies or utility companies.
First class honours graduates can consider research as an attractive alternative, especially because building development in Hong Kong embraces high technology.
- A Higher Diploma or an Associate Degree in Building Services Engineering, or the equivalent.
- Applicants with a Higher Diploma or Associate Degree in Engineering, or the equivalent, will be considered on individual merit.
- Selection is mainly based on applicants’ academic results.
Additional Documents Required
Transcript / Certificate
Academic transcripts are required.