Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) in Air Transport Engineering
Sept 2019 EntryProgramme code: 48401
Duration and Credit Requirement
Normally 66 (plus 4 training credits)
Note: The individual credits required may vary depending on the academic background of the student
Dr Frank Zou
BEng, PhD, AMRAeS, MInstP
- The credit requirements of this programme are indicative only. It is subjected to regular review.
Aims and Characteristics
This programme aims to provide students and produce highly skilled graduates with:
- In-depth knowledge in air transport engineering and operations including aircraft maintenance, airline and airport operations, and regulatory bodies;
- Competence to handle a wide variety of engineering challenges in a methodological, technical and practical manner as applied to the aviation industry;
- Knowledge and skills to efficiently and effectively manage aviation engineering projects;
- Professional aviation communication skill and social responsibility towards the society and the environment.
The BEng(Hons) in Air Transport Engineering (ATE) is a top-up degree programme providing fundamental aviation knowledge for HD & AD graduates and to prepare students for professional or licensed aircraft engineer certification and aviation operation management. Aviation is a multi-disciplinary industry. For this reason, wherever appropriate, subjects are co-taught by PolyU academics and industry professionals to give students the best possible learning experience and first-hand information related to the aviation industry.
Students are required to complete a minimum of 66 or more academic credits to satisfy the graduation requirements.
- Out of these 66 credits, 9 credits of General University Requirements (GUR) and 57 credits of Discipline-Specific Requirements (DSR).
- Plus we have incorporated additional 4 Industrial Centre (IC) training credits in this programme.
In the first year of this programme, students will receive fundamental knowledge of aircraft engineering principles and aviation operations. In the summer, students will have the opportunity to undertake internship programme, which may be offered by industrial partners.
In the final year (i.e. the second year of the normal study period), specific knowledge such as airport project management, airworthiness and flight mechanics and control systems will be delivered to students while students are required to select four subjects from a pool of electives from the following streams:
- Aircraft Maintenance Engineering*
- Aviation Service Engineering
- Pilot Ground Theory**
* Students who choose Aircraft Maintenance Engineering stream are eligible for attending B1.1, B2 aircraft maintenance training (subject to approval).
** Students who choose Pilot Ground Theory stream are eligible for attending an Extra Professional Training (EPT) if selected by airlines (subject to approval).
Elective subjects will provide students with professional expert knowledge in a specialised area of aviation. Furthermore, students will have the opportunity to apply their acquired skills and knowledge in their final year project.
Summer internships, industrial visits, onsite experience sharing and industrial training are arranged to complement classroom teaching, enhance students’ learning and industrial experience in the field of aeronautics and aviation. Industrial training will be provided by the PolyU Industrial Centre.
Note: Students not meeting the equivalent standard of the Undergraduate Degree Language Communication Requirements (LCR) based on their previous studies in AD/HD programmes and their academic performance will be required to take additional credits (6 in English and 3 in Chinese) on top of the programme's normal credit requirements.
To be eligible for graduation, a student must complete placement training for at least 2 full weeks in a suitable organisation.
Recognition and Prospects
This programme has been granted provisional accreditation from the Hong Kong Institution of Engineers (HKIE).
Graduates will be able to seek employment as professional engineers in aviation engineering fields including aircraft component design, manufacturing and maintenance organisations, in air transportation and logistics organisations, airport engineering operation, and civil aviation authorities.
- An Associate Degree or a Higher Diploma in a related engineering discipline.
- In addition to academic results, preference will be given to excellent performance during the interview.
Additional Documents Required
Transcript / Certificate
Transcript with all pages and the latest cumulative GPA shown is required.
Certificates on extra-curricular activities or relevant work experience, if any.