Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Advertising Design
Sept 2019 EntryProgramme code: 73416-SYA
Duration and Credit Requirement
- This programme considers first-choice applications only.
- The normal credit requirement for graduation from this programme is 62. Students who do not meet the equivalent standard of the Undergraduate Degree Language Communication Requirements (LCR) based on their previous studies in AD/HD programmes and their academic performance will be required to take an additional 3 to 9 credits of English and/or Chinese language subject(s) on top of the normal credit requirements.
- Preference will be given to students with good language skills.
Date: 16 January 2019 (Wednesday)
- Venue: V1201, 12/F, Block V, PolyU Campus
Please click here to register for a seat.
Aims and Characteristics
The programme aims to provide students with the creative skills and knowledge that are necessary for a successful career in advertising. The programme enables students to create and produce effective advertising based on market research, consumer behaviour studies, strategic planning, creative concepts, art direction, copywriting, design techniques, communication skills and social responsibility. An understanding of the Hong Kong and Chinese mainland markets in the context of economic, cultural, social and technological development underpins the curriculum. Our all-round approach to developing students’ professional and generic competence sets it apart from other universities and colleges.
The programme offers students a design education that is attuned to social trends and is sensitive to change. The School encourages students to think critically, learn independently and in teams, and experiment with dynamic, multilayered design processes that enable them to weave cultural and industrial strands into appropriate social narratives.
The School also encourages the development of creative thinking through independent learning, experimenting with creative and contextual research processes and questioning existing design paradigms. The programme provides students with the opportunity to participate in international collaborative projects and enrol in student exchange programmes. The School’s close relationship with the design industry allows students to engage in real-world design projects with input from the industry in addition to summer industrial internships.
The BA(Hons) Scheme in Design is normally undertaken over 4 years of full-time study. Students admitted to senior year places will enter Year 3 of the programme:
- Year 3 allows the study path to be consolidated in Design Studios and enriched by Discipline Specific Subjects and co-operation with other students in multidisciplinary common Compulsory Subjects.
- Year 4, the final year, develops students' critical ability in design appreciation, the different perspectives of design thinking, and their own execution processes. They are increasingly allowed to negotiate project outcomes while developing a personal portfolio of a professional standard. This year encourages personal development. Students are prepared for employment or postgraduate studies.
The total credit requirement for graduation is 62, including 9 credits of General University Requirement Subjects, 53 credits of Common Compulsory Subjects and Discipline-Specific Subjects and Electives, and additional 3 to 9 credits of English and/or Chinese language subject(s) for students not meeting the equivalent standard of the Undergraduate Degree LCR.
Recognition and Prospects
Graduates of the BA(Hons) in Advertising Design can pursue careers in the advertising industry as art directors, copywriters, interactive designers, account executives and marketing executives.
• Applicants with an Associate Degree or a Higher Diploma in Design/Design Studies from a recognised institutions.
• Applicants will be invited to submit design portfolios. Those who satisfactorily perform in portfolio submission will be invited for interviews with portfolio presentation.
Additional Documents Required
Portfolio Information Sheet
Transcript / Certificate
Copies of public examination result slip(s) demonstrating applicants' English language proficiency, e.g. HKDSE, HKALE, HKCEE, IELTS, TOFEL, etc. (for reference only)