Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Product Design
Sept 2019 EntryProgramme code: 73416-SYP
Duration and Credit Requirement
MDes(RCA), IIDSA, FIDSHK
- This programme considers first-choice applications only.
- The normal credit requirement for graduation from this programme is 63. Students who do not meet the equivalent standard of the Undergraduate Degree Language Communication Requirements (LCR) based on their previous studies in AD/HD programmes and their academic performance will be required to take an additional 3 to 9 credits of English and/or Chinese language subject(s) on top of the normal credit requirements.
- Preference will be given to students with good language skills.
Date: 18 January 2019 (Friday)
- Venue: V1201, 12/F, Block V, PolyU Campus
Please click here to register for a seat.
Aims and Characteristics
The programme aims to prepare students for a professional career in the design and development of products and product-related services. Students learn to identify and solve the problems of product design innovatively and systematically with sensitivity to humanistic, environmental and social concerns. The programme equips learners with knowledge in fundamental design skills, general knowledge in academic literacy and a fundamental understanding of business.
The programme enables students to devise products and services based on user-oriented research, market analysis, technology opportunities, ergonomic criteria, engineering knowledge, business awareness, cultural appreciation and social responsibility to meet the emerging needs of both the market and society of Hong Kong, the rapidly evolving Pearl River Delta region and throughout Asia.
The programme offers students a design education that is attuned to social trends and is sensitive to change. The School encourages students to think critically, learn independently and in teams and experiment with dynamic, multilayered design processes that enable them to weave cultural and industrial strands into appropriate social narratives.
The School also encourages the development of creative thinking through independent learning, experimenting with creative and contextual research processes and questioning existing design paradigms. The programme provides students with the opportunity to participate in international collaborative projects and enrol in student exchange programmes. The School’s close relationship with the design industry allows students to engage in real world design projects with input from the industry in addition to summer industrial internships.
The BA(Hons) Scheme in Design is normally undertaken over 4 years of full-time study. Students admitted to senior year places will enter Year 3 of the programme:
- Year 3 allows the study path to be consolidated in Design Studios and enriched by Discipline Specific Subjects and co-operation with other students in multidisciplinary common Compulsory Subjects.
- Year 4, the final year, develops students' critical ability in design appreciation, the different perspectives of design thinking, and their own execution processes. They are increasingly allowed to negotiate project outcomes while developing a personal portfolio of a professional standard. This year encourages personal development. Students are prepared for employment or postgraduate studies.
The total credit requirement for graduation is 63, including 9 credits of General University Requirement Subjects, 54 credits of Common Compulsory Subjects and Discipline-Specific Subjects and Electives, and additional 3 to 9 credits of English and/or Chinese language subject(s) for students not meeting the equivalent standard of the Undergraduate Degree LCR.
Recognition and Prospects
Graduates of the BA(Hons) in Product Design can pursue careers as industrial and product designers, product stylists, concept innovators, design managers, entrepreneurs, designers for product manufacturers and trading companies and product design consultants.
• Applicants with an Associate Degree or a Higher Diploma in Design/Design Studies from a recognised institutions.
• Applicants will be invited to submit design portfolios. Those who satisfactorily perform in portfolio submission will be invited for interviews with portfolio presentation.
Additional Documents Required
Portfolio Information Sheet
Transcript / Certificate
Copies of public examination result slip(s) demonstrating applicants' English language proficiency, e.g. HKDSE, HKALE, HKCEE, IELTS, TOFEL, etc. (for reference only)