Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Digital Media
Sept 2019 EntryProgramme code: 73432
Duration and Credit Requirement
PhD, MBA, MA
- As the 2019/20 Academic Year is the start of the 2019-2022 triennium for which UGC-funded programmes are still subject to the Legislative Council's approval, the number of student intake places shown in this web page is indicative only and subject to change or confirmation at a later date.
- This is a two-year full-time top-up degree programme for local applicants.
- The normal credit required for graduation of this programme is 64. Students not meeting the equivalent standard of the Undergraduate Degree Language Communication Requirements (LCR) based on their previous studies in AD/HD programmes and their academic performance will be required to take additional 3 to 9 credits of English and/or Chinese language subject(s) on top of the normal credit requirements.
- Offer preference may be given to applicants who has satisfied the minimum English language requirement.
Date: 16 January 2019 (Wednesday)
- Venue: V322, 3/F, Block V, PolyU Campus
Please click here to register for a seat.
Aims and Characteristics
The programme aims to produce idea-driven content designers regardless of their disciplines. It rights the paradigm of confusing creativity based on ideas with fabrication based on technical know-how. With this in mind, students are also taught the necessary technical, entrepreneurial and analytical skills to become self-learning and self-enabling for the successful execution a given creative idea.
The programme facilitates learning in the following areas.
Professional/Academic Knowledge and Skills
- The ability to generate fresh and engaging ideas for content creation
- The ability to properly manage resources for a production
- The ability to create well serving, well positioned, well-crafted and successfully engaging content from an idea
Generic Skills for All-roundedness
- Ability to evolve and be self-growing
We facilitate personal growth in students through self-discovery, self-discipline, self-analysis and self-learning. We encourage independent thinking, successful positioning and inventive creation through contextual awareness, imagination, collaboration and knowledge application.
The Programme is a top-up degree. It focuses on non-interactive content creation by way of strengthen basic technical skills in video production and animation in the first year. In the second year, emphasis is placed on shifting the paradigm to think not so much in terms of technical skills but in terms of creating ideas to drive those skills. Students will be placed in real projects, providing real creative media solutions to real clients. Students will also be focusing on developing and executing their Capstone Project within the second year.
General University Requirement (9 credits)
- Cluster-Area Requirement subjects (6 credits)
- Service Learning (3 credits)
- Language and Communication Requirements (LCR)
[Students not meeting the equivalent standard of the Undergraduate Degree LCR will be required to take additional LCR subject(s).]
Compulsory Subjects (49 credits)
- Applied Media Aesthetics
- Sound Design
- Character Design
- Creative Process Design
- Entrepreneurship for Content Designers
- Digital Media Studio I - Digital Video Production
- Digital Media Studio II - Animation
- Co-operative Project
- Capstone Project 1: Digital Media
- Capstone Project 2: Digital Media
- Professional English for Digital Media Design Students
- Professional Communication in Chinese for Design Students
Two Elective Subjects (6 credits)
- Advanced Animation
- Advanced Visual Effects
- Advanced Storytelling
Recognition and Prospects
Graduates may apply for membership in professional bodies such as the following:
- The Hong Kong Designers Association
- The Chartered Society of Designers
- The Association for Computing Machinery SIGGRAPH (Special Interest Group on Graphics and Interactive Techniques)
This programme adopts the motto of ‘content is king’ wherein ‘idea will always lead execution’. It trains content designers by giving them the necessary tools to compete in the world of digital media and digital entertainment. Given that intellectual property is a significant source for economic growth, having that winning idea means a chance of being placed in a commanding position.
- A Higher Diploma, an Associate Degree in a relevant discipline from a recognised institution.
Additional Documents Required
Transcript / Certificate
Copies of public examination result slip(s) demonstrating applicants' English language proficiency, e.g. HKDSE, HKALE, HKCEE, IELTS, TOFEL, etc. (for reference only)