Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Nursing
Sept 2020 EntryProgramme code: 53455-SY
Duration and Credit Requirement
116 (plus 35 training credits)
The exact credits required for each AD/HD holder will depend on the approved credit transfer.
Dr Kin Cheung
BSc(N) (Alta.), MN (Alta.), PhD (Calf.), Dip(N) (H.K.G.H.S.G.N.), RN(Alta.), RN (H.K.), PgD (OH)
- The exact study duration and number of credits to be transferred will depend on the entry qualification of individual AD/HD admittees.
Aims and Characteristics
Programme Aims & Learning Outcomes
Our mission is to educate young people for professional careers in nursing, one of the world's most caring professions. This innovative academic programme develops the students' competency to deliver quality care, carry out relevant research and make significant contributions to the health of the community.
Students master the skills of clinical reasoning, communication and the use of technology. They also learn how to work efficiently alone, or with other health care professionals, in providing quality health care.
PolyU was the first university in Hong Kong to provide a pre-registration degree programme in nursing. Our innovative approaches to learning and teaching enhance our students' critical thinking and clinical decision making. Our graduates become the preferred graduates/leaders for the nursing profession and responsible global citizens.
Our modern facilities include Nursing Therapeutics Laboratories (equipped and furnished as virtual clinical wards with simulation laboratories# and other latest technologies), Mental Health Nursing Laboratories, The Yuen Yuen Institute Chinese Medicinal Nursing Laboratory, the Dorothy Wong Intensive Care Laboratory, Gerontological Nursing Laboratory, the Integrative Health Clinic, the Herbal Medicine Learning Centre, the World Health Organization Collaborating Centre for Community Health Services, and The Yuen Yuen Institute Learning Resources Centre.
Field practice is arranged in a variety of health care settings, including hospitals, old age homes, day care centres and other community centres. We also offer a wide range of overseas student exchange programmes. To obtain the properly balanced and comprehensive clinical experiences, students have opportunities to adapt to a variety of practicum locations, environments and rotating work schedules.
#Simulation laboratories are equipped with the Wireless Patient Simulators and scenario-based computer programmings such as BabySim and PediaSim to replicate nursing care in real patient conditions. Through these facilities and related approaches, students are able to identify, develop and implement patients’ care needs, as they immerse themselves in a realistic, dynamic, hands-on situation requiring critical thinking, clinical reasoning and decision-making capabilities. This approach provides opportunities for students to enhance clinical competence and confidence without the potential to harm the patients.
Sub-degree graduates are admitted to the 5-year BSc(Hons) in Nursing programme and must complete all of their subjects in 3 years to fulfil the credit requirement for graduation. The programme equips students for holistic care that encompasses safe, ethical, legal and culturally sensitive nursing therapeutics to be provided to clients of all ages and their families in various healthcare settings.
Students develop abilities in critical inquiry, constantly acquiring new knowledge and using the evidence to support opportunities to develop generic and all-rounded attributes, such as critical thinking, problem solving and life-long learning. Broad-based with strong fundamentals in professional education and a flexible curriculum design with study options, the programme has the following characteristics.
- A continuous focus on our philosophical underpinnings of the concepts of person, environment, health, nursing and caring along with an emphasis on clinical reasoning and person-centred care. The programme embraces introductory and applied subjects, as well as biological, social sciences and humanities subjects to develop students’ understanding of the biological and psychosocial dimensions of the human condition and health care. Anatomy, physiology, psychology, sociology, caring concepts and clinical reasoning and decision making in action provide a foundation for the students.
- It covers nursing therapeutics, child & adolescent health nursing, childbearing family nursing, adult nursing, mental health nursing, gerontological nursing, community health nursing, nursing therapeutics in Chinese medicine and nursing research.
- Supervised field studies allow students to integrate theories and practice.
- An honours project with capstone experience enables students to apply their knowledge of nursing research and appreciate evidence-based practice.
- A specific set of General University Requirement subjects such as Cluster Area, Service Learning subjects provides our students with a broad knowledge base for holistic professional learning.*
- The programme runs from simple to complex, applying various teaching methods, simulated practice and problem-solving processes.
* Students not meeting the equivalent standard of the undergraduate degree Language Communication Requirements (LCR) based on their previous studies in AD/HD programmes and their academic performance will be required to take additional credits (6 in English and 3 in Chinese) on top of the programme's normal credit requirements.
Work-Integrated Education (35 training credits)
1,440 hours of clinical placement must be undertaken in Hospital Authority's hospitals or private hospitals in Hong Kong.
Recognition and Prospects
The programme is accreditated by the Nursing Council of Hong Kong and graduates are eligible to apply for registration as Registered Nurses (General).
Graduates are eligible to become Registered Nurses (General) in Hong Kong. They can find employment in numerous clinical and community settings, and develop the specialist areas of study that they choose.
The majority of graduates work in the health sector, either under the Hospital Authority or in private organisations such as private hospitals or old age homes. Some graduates undertake research work.
Other graduates pursue further studies. Many of our graduates have been accepted for post-registration clinical training and education in local and overseas institutions.
Some graduates work overseas after obtaining the proper licences from foreign countries.
Satisfy the General Entrance Requirements of the University (non-JUPAS Local Senior Year Admissions) and the following specific requirements of this 3-year senior year degree programme:
- Graduates from a health-related Associate Degree or Higher Diploma comparable to the first two years of the BSc (Hons) in Nursing programme; AND
- Level 3 or above in English Language and Chinese Language; and Level 2 or above in Mathematics, Liberal Studies and at least one elective subject from Category A in HKDSE examination (Please refer to the subject list) or equivalent;
- Preference will be given to those who are fluent in written English and Chinese, and in oral English and Cantonese.
- Students must pass a health check before they can undergo the clinical training.
Additional Documents Required
Transcript / Certificate