Higher Diploma in Industrial and Systems Engineering
Sept 2019 EntryProgramme code: JS3117
Duration and Credit Requirement
2 years (plus one summer term of Year One)
60 (plus 10 training credits)
Students may be required to take an extra subject in physics depending on their entry qualifications.
Prof. Sandy To
MPhil (Brun), PhD(PolyU), MHKPOMA, MIET, cirpM
- As the 2019/20 Academic Year is the start of the 2019-2022 triennium for which UGC-funded programmes are still subject to the Legislative Council's approval, the number of student intake places shown in this web page is indicative only and subject to change or confirmation at a later date.
- The credit requirements of this programme are indicative only. They are subject to review.
Aims and Characteristics
Prorgamme Aims and Learning Outcomes
Industrial and systems engineering is concerned with the design, improvement and installation of integrated systems of people, materials, information, physical science, and social science. This programme teaches students fundamental engineering concepts, information technology, design, management, communication skills, and the principles and methods of engineering analysis and design. It provides an understanding of the complex problems of modern industrial and business operations.
This programme is a subset of the 4-year BEng(Hons) in Industrial and Systems Engineering programme, and shares the characteristics and subjects relating to information systems, human factors and integrated product and process design. Graduates can apply for the department’s degree programmes with credit transfers.
- In Year One, students receive a broad-based engineering education that covers information technology, mathematics and statistics, materials science and engineering, university physics, and practical workshop training.
- In Year Two, students study specialised subjects in industrial and systems engineering that covers industrial engineering techniques and methods, quality engineering, control and automation, design and a group project. They can choose two Electives to suit their career development and personal interest.
- Supporting subjects include Language and Communication Requirement subjects and Cluster-Area Requirement subjects.
- Information on the subjects offered can be obtained here.
Recognition and Prospects
In Hong Kong and around the world, a new generation of engineers is needed to meet the new era of digital technology. Graduates can typically find work as industrial engineers, systems engineers, project engineers, product development engineers, manufacturing engineers, logistics engineers, marketing engineers, and costing engineers.
Industrial and systems engineers are needed not only for production of goods and services, but also in transportation, hospitals, banks, IT companies and government departments.