Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) in Transportation Systems Engineering
Sept 2019 EntryProgramme code: JS3351
Duration and Credit Requirement
124 (plus training credits)
Students may be required to take an extra subject in Physics depending on their entry qualifications.
Professor Alan P.T. Lau
BASc, MASc, PhD
- As the 2019/20 Academic Year is the start of the 2019-2022 triennium for which UGC-funded programmes are still subject to the Legislative Council's approval, the number of student intake places shown in this web page is indicative only and subject to change or confirmation at a later date.
- This programme is jointly offered by the Department of Electrical Engineering and the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering. It is covered under neither the Broad Discipline of Engineering nor the Broad Discipline of Construction and Environment. Interested applicants should apply directly to the programme.
- The credit requirements of this programme are indicative only. They are subject to review.
- Students may pursue a Minor in a different discipline.
Aims and Characteristics
Programme Aims & Learning Outcomes
This programme aims to make full use of the hugely versatile applications in the in-demand disciplines of electrical engineering and civil engineering to broaden the career opportunities for our graduates. Students are expected to acquire a solid understanding of the fundamentals of electrical engineering and civil engineering, and apply the knowledge gained and techniques learned to the relevant areas in transportation systems.
The programme philosophy focuses on the incorporation of up-to-date engineering knowledge into transportation systems to enhance the efficiency, reliability, safety and maintainability of infrastructure and services. Current practices in transportation, the latest technologies in transportation systems and their integration in the provision of engineering solutions for practical problems form the core of the programme.
This programme is unique in Hong Kong, providing students with interdisciplinary knowledge and perspectives with a direct career path into the high growth transportation industry and related sectors.
- The first year introduces the concepts of engineering, other general studies and language subjects for our students.
- The second year focuses on the fundamentals of engineering in general, and introduces students to accounting and economics.
- In the third year of study, essential knowledge of transportation systems, such as system analysis, planning, and technical subjects from various engineering disciplines, is covered.
- During their final year, students take 4 Core subjects in transportation systems and two Elective subjects on advanced or specialised topics of transportation. Students may choose individual projects which are relevant to transportation systems engineering.
- Information on the subjects offered can be obtained at www.ee.polyu.edu.hk.
Recognition and Prospects
The programme has been granted provisional accreditation by the Hong Kong Institution of Engineers (HKIE).
Graduates are expected to receive attractive offers from various government departments, public and private transportation service providers, civil, electrical and transportation engineering consultancies, and construction companies. They are well equipped to work in Hong Kong, the Chinese mainland and overseas.
Additional Documents Required
Transcript / Certificate