Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) in Environmental Engineering and Sustainable Development
Sept 2019 EntryProgramme code: JS3375
Duration and Credit Requirement
124 (plus 6 practical training credits)
Prof. Lee Shun-cheng
PhD, MHKIE, A&WMA, ASHRAE, ISIAQ
- As the 2019/20 Academic Year is the start of the 2019-2022 triennium for which UGC-funded programmes are still subject to the Legislative Council's approval, the number of student intake places shown in this web page is indicative only and subject to change or confirmation at a later date.
- The credit requirements of this programme are indicative only. They are subject to review.
Aims and Characteristics
Programme Aims & Learning Outcomes
This programme is the first of its kind offered by Hong Kong institutions, with emphasis on both environmental engineering, including transportation engineering, and sustainable development.
In addition to knowledge of environmental and transportation engineering, and management, economics, sustainable urban development and public policy are adequately covered in this programme. Graduates of this programme will be able to devise practical solutions to environmental and transportation problems as well as to contribute to policy formulation which will lead to sustainable development.
The attractive features of this programme are as follows:
- Four-year full-time comprehensive programme with a wide range of core and elective subjects;
- Opportunity to study abroad for one to two semesters in subsidised exchange programmes at internationally famed universities;
- Summer placement in Hong Kong, the Chinese mainland or overseas between the third and the fourth years of the programme;
- Scholarships available for students with excellent academic performances; and
- Lessons from leading environmental and transportation engineers and sustainable development professionals in the region.
- Core Subjects on the environment and sustainable development are taught in the third and the fourth years, including environmental science, economic development, transportation engineering and civil engineering subjects.
- More Elective Subjects are available in the final year, dealing with many aspects of sustainable development in modern societies.
- For subject details, please visit www.polyu.edu.hk/cee/.
Recognition and Prospects
Full accreditation of the programme by The Hong Kong Institution of Engineers (HKIE) will be sought. Graduates of this programme will then be qualified for Scheme A training of the Environmental Discipline and Logistics & Transportation Discipline of HKIE.
It should be noted that this programme is an evolution of the BSc (Hons) in Environment and Sustainable Development programme and both programmes have attained recognition of the Environmental Discipline of HKIE. Graduates of both programme are qualified for Scheme A training of the Environmental Discipline of HKIE.
Our graduates are ready for employment as environmental and transportation engineers and sustainable development professionals in both the public and private sectors with good career prospect, such as civil servants, managers, analysts, and environmental consultants.
Additional Documents Required
Transcript / Certificate